Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clicking Brakes - Emission service required

Views : 1388

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 20:25   #1
ade74uk2

Default Clicking Brakes - Emission service required

Hi,

I have a 99 2.4 s80 (140) Im having annoying problems with the brakes, There is a very loud "click" ont the front pads, also somtimes you can hear it on the rear pads as well,

I have had it to an independent who are normally very good but they cant fix it, I think the pads are non genuine but should this matter,

Also my service emmision light keeps comming on, If you remove the oil filler cap and place it bacl or stall the car it will go of!!!!..

Then when i drie it after about 10 miles it comes back on!!

hope you can help

email me,

Many thanks

Adrian

hnc9403575@hotmail.com

S80
S$0
740 (defo the best 270,000 and no probs)....
ade74uk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 21:47   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Default RE: Clicking Brakes - Emission service required

Sometimes not putting the fuel cap back on after re-fueling can give this problem. Turn it a couple of times. Hiopefully the light will go off eventuially.

Paul

VOC S80 Register Keeper
Paul Wildsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:01   #3
ade74uk2

Thanks mate i will try that, Your help is much appriciated, Love the car to bits but getting annoyed with the silly faults, If you know of any cures for the clicking breaks that will be great, Also when the wife drives the car the light goes of!!!!...Im going to hire her out to Volvo for a fee!!!!

Thanks again

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 19:42   #4
Allen

Hi Ade, I can only repeat a Volvo service manager's words when I asked about "clicking brakes". After examination I was told that the brakes were non-Volvo and came up just a tad smaller than Volvo ones. Coupled with the fact that Volvo brakes come with a retaining clip/spring means that non-standard pads move just that fraction and it is apparently that that is making the clicking noise.

As for the "Emission" message, I was getting that along with the "ABS and STC" messages fairly constantly until I had Volvos remove and clean the brake sensor on the nearside wheel and wipe the memory of the message module. It's been fine since.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 19:59   #5
ade74uk2

Thanks all for your help, I will nip down to Volvo and prepare for a shock on how much they will charge me for a set of brake pads!..I think it will be worth every penny,

Many thanks again.

Volvo for Life!

Ade
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 13:50   #6
Davie80

ive just had the same problem with clicking front brakes turns out the spring on the outside of the caliper was on the inside of the small lug and not the outside of it, ie holding the two parts of the caliper togeether, moved the spring and its cured 5 mins and volvo wanted to get it in to do diagnostic work on it as this "baffled them". Now thats cured ive got the emissions system service required message within a day of curing the brakes. 1999 s80 140 73000.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 19:15   #7
ade74uk2

Ok i put some new pads on - these were Volvo originals and the clicking has now stopped. Volvo want £70 but i got some of ebay for half that amount, They were slighty different in size but seem to of fixed it now!

The Emmission service light however is still on!

I will keep the forum posted of any updates.

Thanks

Great forum

Ade74uk2