Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'00 S70 P1670 Code (Bad Immobilizer)

Views : 8535

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2010, 19:19   #1
Striker01

Default '00 S70 P1670 Code (Bad Immobilizer)

Hey Folks,

I recently received this car as a company demo, it's a super clean 2000 Volvo S70 SE Automatic with just under 100,000km's. We took it in as a trade in on a brand new car.

Well, I'm thinking of purchasing the car as it's cheaper for me in the long run than having to pay the dealership demo allowances. The car drives fantastic! Smooth, no foreign noises, clunks, rattles etc. It's a great commuter car for me.

However, a couple days ago, the check engine light randomly came on. After checking the codes, its code P1670 which after doing some research is a bad immobilizer and could be a couple things. The car drives and start 100% fine.

I did find an interesting post by a forum member on here that I tried to PM but being a newb, I can't do this. He mentioned that I could possibly clean some sort of contacts, located under the sterring wheel that may fix this issue?

If anyone can give me some advice, its greatly appreciated.
Striker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 20:21   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hlight=antenna
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 21:35   #3
Striker01

You where the guy I tried PM'ing twice Chris. I wanted to know exactly where the spot was you mentioned that I could try and clean up

Also-the car starts perfectly fine and runs the same. No stalls, no hard time starting, once again.

Last edited by Striker01; Apr 17th, 2010 at 21:38.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:49   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The antenna ring is the illuminated plastic part (with a coil in it) that is round the lock barrel, it's obvious once you have removed the lower cover.

The problem seems to be dissimilar metals used for the connector.

I've found that some aggessive cleaning of the coil end is required, I used a diamond file, plus the use of contact grease for a lasting connection.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:13   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

The contact problem is on the Immobilser control unit pins , volvo do a short red lead with a terminal connector on which has a tighter grip so it is an easy matter of cutting each wire in turn and soldering on this short fly lead , you need 8 or them ...
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:56   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Yes, but the problem is at both ends.

The antenna end is usually the first to go, I'd suggest tackle that end first and the immobilizer end only if you have to.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:10   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

I've always done both mods at the same time to prevent any further problems , new antenna ring and the terminal mod , never had a comeback .. however perhaps the problem with the antenna ring is the connector rather than the coil of ultra fine wire in the antenna ring ... Initialy from 1998 the antenna ring change cured the problem , then in later years the immobiliser pin connectors gave problems too .
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:34   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I expect you're correct, I can only go by my experience.

I found the problem was the connector pins on the antenna, I found a hard whitish coloured corrosion on the pins, probably aluminium oxide. This has to be removed to get a good connection at the radio frequency used. I dab of contact grease will help prevent reoccurance.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 23:22   #9
Striker01

I'm gonna look into this on the weekend to see if I can figure it out. I know that I don't see anything glowing around the ignition at night but once again, the car does start and drive perfect (knock on wood)