Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 fuel tank removal

Views : 5387

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 12:43   #1
262coupe

Default 240 fuel tank removal

Hello all, has anyone ever removed a fuel tank from a 240? Mine has started to leak around the seam weld and so needs replacing. I`m having trouble working out how to detach the inlet neck from the filler. It looks as if it is attached with a jubille type clip but access to that is nearly impossible as its between the top of the tank and the bottom of the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon
262coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 16:27   #2
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default Tank

Leave filler on and remove with tank. You will ned to disconnect any other hoses etc from inside the car first.

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 16:46   #3
Mister T

Simon ,
From what you discribe you have the later filler neck , if you do not see a rubber hose joining the tank to the filler neck but have a metal pipe with a ribbed section then this a much more difficult repair .
The clamp you see below as a 10 mm bolt , you will need a universal socket to remove it .
Mister T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filLER NECK.JPG (58.8 KB, 27 views)
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 22:15   #4
262coupe

Default fuel tank

Thanks for the reply ,,,,, I think you are right and it is the later version. The prob is how i gain access to that 10mm bolt or is it best as the other reply suggests to remove it all in one and then undo it?

Simon
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 22:35   #5
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Take it out as one piece - I've removed a few this way.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:10   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Do it in one piece, but watch the section of breather pipe where it elbows into the main pipe. It is easy to catch it on something and bend or crush it.

Also of course be very very careful removing the two hoses from the top of the sender unit. The metal pipes are typically pretty rusty and fragile. Pour boiling water over the ends after removing the clips, then gently pinch the sides of the rubber with pliars before trying to twist it off.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 08:31   #7
262coupe

Default thank you

Thanks a lot you guys.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 13:20   #8
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Unhappy 240 tank removal

By coincidence I am also trying to remove tank from my 240 (late model '93) today
A right pig of a job, but made easier by following Clifford Pope's suggestion on the pipes.
Not sure about getting filler pipe off in one go though.

Just rang NorthWest Radiators, 240 tanks no longer available.

Will let you know how I get on !!

Regards, Richard VOC 3801
93240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 19:42   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Keep jiggling it - it will go! But watch the vent pipe as I said.

I did a very satisfactory repair some years ago. It was leaking at the seam as yours.
Having got the tank out, I cleaned up the leaking area and the whole of the seam, and then used rusteating jelly to get it really clean I soldered up the pinhole that was apparent after I had got the rust off. To make doubly sure I painted bodyfiller type resin all round the entire seam area, to seal it, both from leakage and muck getting into the crack in the seam.

If you can't get a new tank it might be worth a try. I did it because I couldn't afford to wait.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 19:39   #10
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Thumbs up 240 fuel tank removal

Well, got the tank back in yesterday, definately a bit of a job what with leaving the filler pipe on. Thanks to Mike Brace, ( who I rang to double check), who kindly confirmed that it was possible, " but just take care not to bend the breather nipple on the inlet pipe."
Never a truer word spoken, for anyone thinking of removing / refitting the tank, be warned, it is definately a two person job to get it back in without damage, and probably to remove it !

Quite amazed by the amount of surface rust patches on the outside of the tank, mines a late one ('93) so I expect older ones to be worse. Cleaned it all off and repaired small pin prick hole with epoxy resin, then coated it all with bitumin paint.

A tip: to drain the tank, they won't empty by tipping them up, (rollover safety valve fitted ?) but a short length of plastic tube onto the smaller of the two pipes allowed me to syphon most out into a proper fuel can, without the need to struggle with taking out the pump and gauge sensor etc on the top of the tank. Best to steer clear of touching that if at all possible !

Regards, Richard VOC 3801
93240se is offline   Reply With Quote