Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault Code 2-3-2

Views : 1282

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 17:55   #1
johnsredarrow

Default Fault Code 2-3-2

Help please!

My friends 240 Torslanda has started playing silly devils again .

Its a H reg with a 2.0litre B200F engine with Lh Jetronic injection.

Sometimes it is running absolutely perfectly and then the next time he starts it, it cuts out when pulling up to a halt and when idling and when he starts it up again it can be running perfectly again. When going along the road it is fine.

I've used the diagnostic-black-box-thing and have had two readings

1-2-1 and 2-3-2

I looked on the FAQ section but the info on there seemed to be for 9 series and above. I wasn't sure if this would be correct for a 240.

Any ideas please and does anyone know where its possible to get a full list of fault codes from for a 240?

Many thanks!
johnsredarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 18:10   #2
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

1-2-1 is AMM signal - should light check engine light
2-3-2 is adjustment for weak/rich mixture

It may just be the wire from the AMM - try disconnecting it when idling next time it plays up.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 18:49   #3
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default Codes

Code 1-2-1 is Air Mass Meter faulty signal.
Code 2-3-2 is Lambda probe not operating or out of range
second code is probably a consequence of the first i.e. if the AMM is faulty and is giving the ECU a faulty reading the probe will be trying to compensate out of its possible range. Suggest AMM will be the source of the problem.

See full list of codes in attachment.

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.

Last edited by Paul Clifton; Dec 27th, 2008 at 14:27.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 20:41   #4
johnsredarrow

Many thanks to both of you.

What did we do before forums were invented?
(Lots of people had large repair bills from garages I suppose.....................)

We'll try out what you've suggested and I'll report back.
This may take a few days.......... but when theres progress I'll let you know.

Thanks again

John
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 15:52   #5
johnsredarrow

Ok....................

I've found the list of fault codes in the Emissions section of the Haynes manual. Thanks anyway Paul for the attachment.

I've also done a search on this forum for the air mass meter and have noted things that people have done..................

Up to now,we've taken off the air mass meter and there appeares to be no faults with it visually (haven't got a test meter yet.........) and its spotlessly clean inside although the teminals do appear to be less than shiny and will be cleaned up. The fuses have been cleaned (there was a small amount of white powder around the fuse for the fuel injection).
We were going to clean the flame trap but it don't not appear to have one! ...... there is a large black plastic 'container' which is bolted to the engine block (under the inlet manifold) which I assume is the oil trap. The small bore pipe onto the inlet manifold which appears to be part of the crankcase ventilation is clear. I blew down the larger bore pipe off the oil trap with the small bore pipe taken off the nipple and I could blow straight through.
The main pipe from the air filter past the AMM to the inlet is clear.
The battery showed 90% charged on the charger (someone in another post had suggested low voltage due to a uncooperative battery).
Now..............
I looked for the fuel pump relay and was looking for a green or white one (as suggested in other posts) but found a black one and a yellow one taped together The wiring under the dash has been ...er... um... 'affected' (is possible a nice way of putting it) by a previous owner when the towbar was fitted.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me which one is the fuel pump relay. I understand that the other one is a system relay.
Both are exactly the same shape and size with angled corners. the yellow one has the numbers 898159 and 3523611 and the balck one has the numbers 898158 and 3523610. Incidently the wiring codes on the connectors are exactly the same - S, 31b, 15, 86, I and 31. I was going to follow the wiring diagram in the back of the Haynes manual but this confused me..........

Haven't started it up yet (ran out of time and daylight and no garage).

Thanks for any ideas

John
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 13:23   #6
johnsredarrow

............... and now its all been put back together, its running really well

????????!!!!!!!??????

Just have to see how it behaves over the next few days.......... I've got a test meter now so I can test the AMM if necessary.

Could anyone give me a pointer regarding the colour of the fuel pump relay please and why the two relays have the same codes on the terminals but different part numbers?

Thanks in advance!
John