Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yet another Toyo tyre thread!

Views : 725

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:50   #1
Alex.
2 Strokin' Toxopholite

Default Yet another Toyo tyre thread!

Guys,

As I'm in the market for some new tyres, I have been perusing the forum for threads.

It seems that the Toyo T1-R is an often recommended tyre, but how much better is it than the Toyo T1-S? Is the T1-S still a good tyre?

Thanks for any help!

Alex.
Alex. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:03   #2
Frostbite
S60 S 2.0T Auto (Sep2003)

Exclamation

I had a Rover 75 and tried a full set of Toyo's after the Dunlops that were on there needed replacing. A boy racer who owned a tyre garage recommended them to me and had them on his own car. I guess that was endorsment enough.

They were fantastic in dry conditions but as soon as any water got on the roads it felt like I was driving on ice. They didn't wear too well either.

Sorry to say that I can't recommend Toyo's and I tend to stick to Michelin Pilot Primacy these days as they are a good all rounder and wear well. Unfortunately they do cost more.

I've come to the conclusion that you should invest well in what keeps you on the road, tyres & brakes.

If you do go with Toyo, I hope you get a better experience with them that I did. All the best.
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:35   #3
Jona76

I'll have to argue the case for Toyo's then

I've got a full set of T1-R's on my 855 T5 and they stick like sh**e to a blanket on the road. I do lots of miles, in all weathers and the only complaint I can say about them is that they do wear out a little quicker than other tyres that I've had - but that's the price to pay with a heavy right foot and a heavy car.

They've done me proud in the wet too, especially when I had to miss something that had dropped on the motorway in the wet and swerved 3 lanes. Had total control in the car.

http://www.toyo.co.uk/
Jona76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:11   #4
Alex.
2 Strokin' Toxopholite

There are lots of people on here who like the Toyo T1-R, but does anyone have experience of the Toyo T1-S?

Alex.
Alex. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:23   #5
cootuk
Premier Member

I think it would come down to price and what your supplier has in stock.
T1-S stick well to the road, especially in the wet, and tyre wear is ok.
They do seem to suit heavy Volvos with maybe Eagle F1 being the main competitor.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 14:12   #6
bryand
C30 devotee

The T1-R is replacing the T1-S, so the older tyre may be getting quite rare by now. The T1-R lasts longer than the T1-S, and grips the same, in my experience.
bryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 15:32   #7
dodgyken
Master Member

T1R is the new T1S - as mentioned above.

Remember that tyres degrade over time and a 6month old T1S will not be as good as fresh T1R - like for like.

They do wear quite aggressivel but do grip very well in the dry. Evo Magazine did a VERY good group test recently - which praised the Gooyears and also the Vredesteins.

Returning to the Toyos - they are also cheap - half the price of Contis or PS2s.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 15:43   #8
Frostbite
S60 S 2.0T Auto (Sep2003)

Default Michelin

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience of Michelin's on Volvo's, good and bad.
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 01:20   #9
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
Guys,

As I'm in the market for some new tyres, I have been perusing the forum for threads.

It seems that the Toyo T1-R is an often recommended tyre, but how much better is it than the Toyo T1-S? Is the T1-S still a good tyre?

Thanks for any help!

Alex.
Sorry if I'm a bit late into this one..

If you are looking for new tyres and like the Toyo (as I do) then stick with the T1-R.
If you check the ratings for the T1-S against the T1-R you'll find the R comes out better...
Check out on the mytyre site and the links they have to tyretest..
Linky....

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 10:07   #10
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

I have the goodyear eagle f1's on the 740 and I have to give them credit. Dry grip is pretty awesome and its not that much different in the wet. Also, when they do let go (its going to happen with a lot of power + RWD ), they are very smooth and easy to control.