Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear speaker problem

Views : 1514

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:50   #1
Kirk

I have a 1993 850. There is an 8 speaker stereo system in this car. Recently, the rear speakers in the back window have quit working. I've checked the fader control and the wiring. Nothing is obviously wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.

Kirk
Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:31   #2
markas
VOC Member

Default RE: Rear speaker problem

Hi ya,

I know this sounds stupid as you have a 93, 8 speakers was standard on them. Any way if you does yours have the aux amp at the back of the centre console as this may lye where your problem is ?

You could swap the conectors at the back of the head to if you gewt any output of any of the channel with those speakers therefore isolating them as the problem and the head unit itself

mark.
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2002, 13:27   #3
Cypher007
Master Member

the rear shelf speakers are driven in parallel with the rear door speakers. so check the wiring to the rear shelf speakers.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2002, 16:46   #4
Kirk

The rear door speakers work fine. Just the rear window speakers that don't. Since they work in parrallel, can I rule out some sort of radio problem? Thanks.

Kirk
Old Jun 24th, 2002, 18:52   #5
jaytee
Jim

I think there's a little crossover or filter thing between the rear door speakers and the rear shelf speakers, one each side. It would be odd if they both failed at the same time. Maybe you blew something with too much volume, or did they fail at different times??
Try touching a 1½ volt battery across the shelf speaker terminals, if you get a crackle you'll know that the speakers (tweeters) are ok. Then it has to be the filter thingy assuming that all connections are secure elsewhere.

Good luck

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 04:48   #6
StarmanDXE

Hey,
I have noticed that ever since we've had our 93 850 the speakers in the rear window havne't worked, either. I believe I read on another board or somewhere that the magnets can fall out on these, and you can easily open them and glue them back together, although I don't know the specifics on this. Has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 16:14   #7
StarmanDXE

Well, I found the info on another site and fixed the rear speakers. Also, I had read that the front dash speakers had a tendency to fall apart, too. Sure enough, there was no noise coming from them, either. So, I popped the right one open, and found the magnet. Popped the left one open, and the magnet seems to have disappeared. Any idea where inside it could have fallen to and how I could go about getting there? I was going to take off the panel under the steering wheel, but the screws seem to be stripped...
Thanks for any help.