Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 (2020) Start Stop Service Required

Views : 414

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2024, 11:03   #1
denzo

Default V90 (2020) Start Stop Service Required

Left my car for 2 weeks whilst on vacation - checked in on the App and car was in "Standby Mode".

Started the car and was greeted with the "Start-Stop Service Required" message.

Is this something that will correct itself once I start to drive the care more; I am certain is is linked to leaving the car unused for 2 weeks.

Any advice / fixes etc .. greatly appreciated
denzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2024, 12:06   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Your car will enter Standby Mode after being unused for 5 days. This is completely normal.

The message may clear after you've driven the car for a while. If possible charge both batteries by connecting a smart charger (such as a CTEK) to the charging terminals in the engine bay. Do not connect it directly to either battery.
Old May 19th, 2024, 14:53   #3
denzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Your car will enter Standby Mode after being unused for 5 days. This is completely normal.

The message may clear after you've driven the car for a while. If possible charge both batteries by connecting a smart charger (such as a CTEK) to the charging terminals in the engine bay. Do not connect it directly to either battery.
Thank you - do you have a recommendation for a CTEK model that will work effectively on my V90 T4 please?
Also, are they easy to use and what kind of time does it take to recharge battery and do I need to leave engine running?
Old May 19th, 2024, 16:37   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I bought a NOCO Genius 5 smart charger (alternative to the CTECK) for the same reason, Support Battery Service Required message. Very easy to use, just connect to the engine bay charging points and leave it to do it's thing. How long depends on the state of charge of the battery, six hours had my system back up and runnning.

With regard to the Stop/Start system, since I last charged the battery the message has re-appeared for the last 3 months, but last weekend I did a 200 mile round trip and the message disappeared and S/S came back to life, so a decent trip will probably restore your system.
Old May 19th, 2024, 16:39   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

This is the one I use and it'll work on your car: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FC42HAA/

CTEK are considered one of the best brands but there are other cheaper units available. The important things are that it's 'smart' and capable of charging AGM batteries (as fitted to your car).

Very simple to use, just connect to the charging terminals in the engine bay. See the car's manual for their location.

Hard to say how long a charge would take as it depends upon how much charge is already in the batteries but probably a minimum of 3 hours. If the car is starting okay it's unlikely to be more than 8 or 10 hours. In a worst possible case perhaps more like 20 hours (but unlikely). There are LEDs on the CTEK that tell you how the charge is progressing and when it's completed. No need to leave the engine running. In fact, make sure the engine is off before you start charging.

Last edited by Lexman8; May 19th, 2024 at 16:41.
Lexman8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2024, 19:23   #6
James77
Master Member

Fist thing I do when pulling away is turn off start stop to my mind (others may disagree) start stop is pointless. Start stop service I'd just ignore it wont affect how the car operates and dint need to drop trousers at main stealer.
Old May 20th, 2024, 14:30   #7
Hogster

As a cheaper alternative to the CTEK, I've got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which does the job very well whenever I get this message after the leaving the car for bit. For me this also impacts the parking sensors, so whilst I might not necessarily miss stop/start (although I do think it works quite well on my V60), I would miss the parking sensors.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 21:07   #8
denzo

I drove around for a couple of days and the dash notification has disappeared and the start/stop functionality has returned.