Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Selling a car privately

Views : 1002

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2024, 13:41   #1
cejsmith
VOC Member

Default Selling a car privately

I'm currently trying to sell my V90 CC B6 , it's by far the cheapest on the market ( not difficult as there are only 2) , but the only interest is from dealers.
Am I trying to flog a dead horse to sell a reasonable high value car privately ????
Skoda Superb 272 L&K estate sold
V90 CC B6
cejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 13:58   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Interesting question.... I think there are so many scams around at the moment, people will go to dealers as they think it's more safe. Also, I think most cars in that price range are likely leased or on a PCP now (even if people do have the funds) so that disadvantages private sellers. I suspect at that price point buyers would want more than the ~2 months warranty balance that there is, plus some people have some unfounded ideas about hybrids.

Have you had any dealer offers that are close? What does WBAC say?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:06   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

It's likely worth a try but at the price point we're talking in this case, it's only natural that the addressable market will be much smaller than for a e.g. 2-3k 2005 XC90

Most private buyers will be aware that a private sale doesn't attract the same set of protections and rights in law that a business transaction would, even if many don't fully understand exactly what they and their limitations. 30+k is quite a level of risk for many to stand.

In your case again, being an EV, I think that level of *perceived* risk is even greater. Honestly, I too would only consider that level of spend on such a vehicle at this time if it came with Volvo Selekt.
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:44   #4
cejsmith
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
It's likely worth a try but at the price point we're talking in this case, it's only natural that the addressable market will be much smaller than for a e.g. 2-3k 2005 XC90

Most private buyers will be aware that a private sale doesn't attract the same set of protections and rights in law that a business transaction would, even if many don't fully understand exactly what they and their limitations. 30+k is quite a level of risk for many to stand.

In your case again, being an EV, I think that level of *perceived* risk is even greater. Honestly, I too would only consider that level of spend on such a vehicle at this time if it came with Volvo Selekt.
I understand what your saying , but my car still has the balance of the volvo warranty which is better than the 3 months most dealers would give. As for being a EV its not, at best it's a very mild hybrid!!!

30k it would appear is not a lot of a car these days , so I'm surprised that the more mature volvo type buying person would be able to raise finance without needing a dealer
V90 CC B6
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:46   #5
cejsmith
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Interesting question.... I think there are so many scams around at the moment, people will go to dealers as they think it's more safe. Also, I think most cars in that price range are likely leased or on a PCP now (even if people do have the funds) so that disadvantages private sellers. I suspect at that price point buyers would want more than the ~2 months warranty balance that there is, plus some people have some unfounded ideas about hybrids.

Have you had any dealer offers that are close? What does WBAC say?
Yes , I've had a offer of 30600 from Cazoo , so I may well take that ( I paid 39000 just over a year ago) , it's a shame that some one will buy her form a dealer and have to pay thousands more!!!
V90 CC B6
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:47   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I think the other issue which will come into play could be that as it has got more difficult to sell higher value cars privately, someone who might want that may have a 4-5 year old V90 or similar to dispose of which might be worth £15k-£20k, and for the same reasons be more difficult/lengthy to sell privately.

Hence as well as the dealer protections, they would be looking for finance and part-exchange options.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:49   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejsmith View Post
Yes , I've had a offer of 30600 from Cazoo , so I may well take that ( I paid 39000 just over a year ago) , it's a shame that some one will buy her form a dealer and have to pay thousands more!!!
Ouch.... you've just reminded me of why I continue to drive around in 10+ year old cars. Albeit about 4 of them...

The other issue is the used car market is declining at the moment, I'm not sure why, but you might regret not accepting that offer in 3 months time.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:59   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm currently trying to sell my V90 CC B6 , it's by far the cheapest on the market ( not difficult as there are only 2) , but the only interest is from dealers.
Am I trying to flog a dead horse to sell a reasonable high value car privately ????
Selling a car at such high value would be difficult on the private market. By no means is it impossible, but all the same, people are likely to go to a dealer because they may get more of a warranty, or are offered buying options like HP finance or PCP. You can't offer that as a private seller... you're basically selling it sold as seen because you want rid of it. You can't offer finance or extra warranty... its just the way it is. Yes the buyer could arrange their own finance, but realistically, most don't want the hassle. They just go to the dealer, sit down with a nice coffee and a few biscuits and let them do the work.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car of that value private either. Not that there's anything wrong with it, nor am I implying there is. Realistically, not many people have 30k lying around to buy outright anyway. Even if they did, people still finance... why use your money when you can use someone else's scenario.

May I ask why are you getting rid of it? I assume you're trying to sell it private to get the most you can for it?

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 4th, 2024 at 15:02.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 15:06   #9
cejsmith
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Selling a car at such high value would be difficult on the private market. By no means is it impossible, but all the same, people are likely to go to a dealer because they may get more of a warranty, or are offered buying options like HP finance or PCP. You can't offer that as a private seller... you're basically selling it sold as seen because you want rid of it. You can't offer finance or extra warranty... its just the way it is. Yes the buyer could arrange their own finance, but realistically, most don't want the hassle. They just go to the dealer, sit down with a nice coffee and a few biscuits and let them do the work.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car of that value private either. Not that there's anything wrong with it, nor am I implying there is. Realistically, not many people have 30k lying around to buy outright anyway. Even if they did, people still finance... why use your money when you can use someone else's scenario.

May I ask why are you getting rid of it? I assume you're trying to sell it private to get the most you can for it?
I'm selling her as my wife has a VW california on order that will be coming next month and we dont need two big cars , as for selling privately , it would be silly of me to say I didn't want the most money I could get , but also I would prefer if someone got a good deal. I have brought privately before for more than this but I suppose I can understand why people might not.
V90 CC B6
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 15:14   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm selling her as my wife has a VW california on order that will be coming next month and we dont need two big cars , as for selling privately , it would be silly of me to say I didn't want the most money I could get , but also I would prefer if someone got a good deal. I have brought privately before for more than this but I suppose I can understand why people might not.
I understand. Why wouldn't you want to get the most you could for it!?

Set yourself a time limit to advertise. All you need is one genuine buyer I guess, but by setting a time, at least you can say you tried and didn't give up too soon.

I don't know where you're listing it for sale at the moment, but maybe try some other sites (if you haven't already).