Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Infotainment different (Google based?) in what year?

Views : 1285

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2022, 17:42   #1
MrABC22

Default Infotainment different (Google based?) in what year?

Looking in think the infotainment was changed software based to “powered by Android” ? Is that correct? In what year? Is there a way to tell?

Think it’s based on this now?
https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...with-google-te

Is the newer “powered by Android” better in any way? Does the “powered by Android” based version have CarPlay installed by default now or still an add on?

What, if any, does the “powered by Android” system give over the older software? Anyone had a pre and post to compare?

It states that gets updates over the air, has anyone had any, and do they add/fix anything?

Thanks

Last edited by MrABC22; Oct 26th, 2022 at 17:45.
MrABC22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 21:29   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrABC22 View Post
Looking in think the infotainment was changed software based to “powered by Android” ? Is that correct? In what year? Is there a way to tell?

Think it’s based on this now?
https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...with-google-te

Is the newer “powered by Android” better in any way? Does the “powered by Android” based version have CarPlay installed by default now or still an add on?

What, if any, does the “powered by Android” system give over the older software? Anyone had a pre and post to compare?

It states that gets updates over the air, has anyone had any, and do they add/fix anything?

Thanks

Yes 2020 iirc when it boots it's more tile orientated and possibly the clocks will be more modern with the clocks sort of pushed out to the corners and more half moon than circular like normal.

Yes that's it.

Not right now but it will be once they get the bugs out of it.

Less easy movement between the functions and a nicer Ui.

If they are available you will be able to download from the car if it's connected to wifi network or sim or you will be able to download from Volvo onto a usb key and load it yourself, OTA is better and faster way to do it.

Good video of it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHBk8StKk04

Worth checking his channel as he's done a day by day experience of the car and he's easy on the ear as well.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 18:44   #3
Haldex
Premier Member

My 40 is Jan 2022 production - delivered first week of Feb - and I think I got one of the last Sensus-based cars. The redesigned model (slanted headlight design, deliveries started in March in EU..) all have Android-based system.

Google Automotive still being work-in-progress (search the forum for numerous post of people complaining..) I didn’t want to be a guinea pig/early adopter - so I actually preferred the Sensus infotainment - it finally got hardware boost (since about 2 yrs ago..) it needed to function flawlessly - and for everything else - I have the Apple CarPlay integration (or Android Auto, whichever you prefer..).

To my info, Android Auto is not available on Google Automotive system - but Apple CarPlay is there; not sure if it’s standard in UK but for eg. In France all but base trim cars come with CarPlay included.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 22:59   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Expect it to all change again by 2024 when the rest get an EX90 influenced dashboard assuming that's in the pipeline that is.
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 06:23   #5
MrABC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
so I actually preferred the Sensus infotainment - it finally got hardware boost (since about 2 yrs ago..) it needed to function flawlessly - and for everything else - I have the Apple CarPlay integration (or Android Auto, whichever you prefer..).
Thanks, when you say hardware boost, do you mean what I mention above as in the newer Senus system is “Android powered” ? So I’m looking at a few XC40’s ‘20 registered so will have this newer hardware boosted version?

Daft to think then that Android auto isn’t available on Google automotive, yet Apple CarPlay is!?!

I’m looking at XC40’s so reading your comments I should go for the Android powered, over the original version? Is there a definitive way of checking which version is included?

Thanks
MrABC22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 08:44   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

No, I mean exactly what I said - hardware was improved (RAM, storage and possibly a stronger processor) a bit over 2 yrs ago, to address the lagginess/freezeups users experienced in the cars released the first few years. The system is still Sensus. So your '20 cars will certainly have Sensus (the improved one, if you wish..) and not the Android Automotive system.

My guess the logic behind leaving out Android Auto from the Google Automotive is - you are already using Google as native system - with (most of..) its features - so it would be redundant to add Android Auto on top of it..

My personal preference was/is Sensus - over what Google Automotive currently offers - for stated reasons. I think you're mixing up the "improved" Sensus in the last few years of cars with the Google Automotive system released in XC40 beginning of 2022.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 08:48   #7
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Expect it to all change again by 2024 when the rest get an EX90 influenced dashboard assuming that's in the pipeline that is.
I expect Volvo will stick with Google Automotive - in one form or another. The system integration and features will certainly improve over time.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 10:12   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
I expect Volvo will stick with Google Automotive - in one form or another. The system integration and features will certainly improve over time.
Probably won't happen until new models of current models launch then it'll become the norm if Volvo really do go fell EV from this point onwards.
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 23:47   #9
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Reading up on the 'Google Automotive system' Volvo say it is free for 4 years then will subject to a subscription.
Not read anywhere just what that subscription cost will be.
Sounds like maybe a potential stitch up .

Anyone know different?

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 01:59   #10
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
Reading up on the 'Google Automotive system' Volvo say it is free for 4 years then will subject to a subscription.
Not read anywhere just what that subscription cost will be.
Sounds like maybe a potential stitch up .

Anyone know different?

I would guess it's limited without a sub on certain apps rather than the whole system, if it's not and basically you loose functionality altogether after 4 years I'd say Volvo can wave off 80% of their customer base.