Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would 18in Nebulas or Pegasus wheels fit my 1997 S90??

Views : 1230

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 16:51   #1
lovejoy489

Default Would 18in Nebulas or Pegasus wheels fit my 1997 S90??

As the title says - Ive been offered either Nebulas or Pegasus 18 inch wheels. The tyres are 235 x 40 x 18's, my question is - Will these wheels an tyres fit straight on my 1997 S90? or will the tyres foul the bodywork/suspension/brakes etc? Would i need wheel spacers at all?

Has anyone had 1st hand experience, in fitting these wheels to their s90/v90s? Remembering that the tyre sizes are 235 x 40 x 18. Did you have to use wheel spacers yourself, of any other mods needed??
Thanks in advance
lovejoy489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 20:10   #2
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy489 View Post
As the title says - Ive been offered either Nebulas or Pegasus 18 inch wheels. The tyres are 235 x 40 x 18's, my question is - Will these wheels an tyres fit straight on my 1997 S90? or will the tyres foul the bodywork/suspension/brakes etc? Would i need wheel spacers at all?

Has anyone had 1st hand experience, in fitting these wheels to their s90/v90s? Remembering that the tyre sizes are 235 x 40 x 18. Did you have to use wheel spacers yourself, of any other mods needed??
Thanks in advance
You will need spacers.

The fit inside the guard is a relatively simple mathematical calculation. There are even calculators.

However, I would approach the idea with caution due to the practical limits of low profile tyres. They look great, but I have destroyed two low profile tyres (17 inch 50 ratio on actual pegasus rims) so far in potholes and had to have a rim straightened following one of those events.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 20:50   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I have the 17 inch repos and the fit perfect with no spacers
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 14:24   #4
lovejoy489

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
You will need spacers.

The fit inside the guard is a relatively simple mathematical calculation. There are even calculators.

However, I would approach the idea with caution due to the practical limits of low profile tyres. They look great, but I have destroyed two low profile tyres (17 inch 50 ratio on actual pegasus rims) so far in potholes and had to have a rim straightened following one of those events.
Thanks for that link, i will try out a few of those calculations later.
Yeah, i know the pitfuls/problems that come with low profile tyres.
Plenty of potholes around my areas here in Kent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I have the 17 inch repos and the fit perfect with no spacers
Cheers for that, what size tyres have you got on your 17 inch repos? Im guessing 225 x 45 x 17 ?

My 1997 S90 will not do many miles per year, it will be on a classic policy (insurance) with limited mileage (approx 3000 per year) being a 2nd car, so not my "main driver".

It has the factory 16 x 7 Andromeda alloys, which have 205 x 60 x 16 tyres. Im pretty sure those tyres are not the right factory spec either, they should be 205 x 55 x 16's.

Im only going to use either Nebula or Pegs for summer use, so its not like they are gonna see a lot of action/mileage, i just think the 235 width tyres might be too wide?

I keep looking at the Ocean 18 wheels too, some serious deep dish there!!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 14:50   #5
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy489 View Post
Thanks for that link, i will try out a few of those calculations later.
Yeah, i know the pitfuls/problems that come with low profile tyres.
Plenty of potholes around my areas here in Kent!!

Cheers for that, what size tyres have you got on your 17 inch repos? Im guessing 225 x 45 x 17 ?

My 1997 S90 will not do many miles per year, it will be on a classic policy (insurance) with limited mileage (approx 3000 per year) being a 2nd car, so not my "main driver".

It has the factory 16 x 7 Andromeda alloys, which have 205 x 60 x 16 tyres. Im pretty sure those tyres are not the right factory spec either, they should be 205 x 55 x 16's.

Im only going to use either Nebula or Pegs for summer use, so its not like they are gonna see a lot of action/mileage, i just think the 235 width tyres might be too wide?

I keep looking at the Ocean 18 wheels too, some serious deep dish there!!!
My 17” wheels had IIRC 215/50/17 tyres on. They weren’t stretched at all but not balloon like - more of a square profile which looked pretty good but reasonably practical too.

I’ve looked at Oceans too but I think the car really needed to be lowered a decent amount (see pic for perfection in my eyes!) for them to look good, but that puts extra pressure on clearances too so tyre choice is even more critical. I think they also have polished barrels so probably a strict dry weather only tyre (no salt on the roads!).

Pegs look ace on a 9 series, they are one of the few non deep dish wheels that look ok IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0276DBF7-2CAE-40CB-B224-320283D54505.jpeg (49.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by MiniNinjaRob; Feb 2nd, 2020 at 14:56.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 15:15   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Don't forget to let your insurers know too. If the "new" wheels were available as an option from new then as I understand it, there's no issue. But fitting non-factory spec wheels can count as a modification. Better to let them know than risk giving them an excuse to back out of any future claim. Insurers will cheerfully use any dodge not to pay out!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 16:57   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Fairly sure they are 225/50/17 extra load tyres I have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0890.jpg (160.3 KB, 15 views)
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 17:52   #8
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Don't forget to let your insurers know too. If the "new" wheels were available as an option from new then as I understand it, there's no issue. But fitting non-factory spec wheels can count as a modification. Better to let them know than risk giving them an excuse to back out of any future claim. Insurers will cheerfully use any dodge not to pay out!

Jack
When I put my 17” Citroen steels on it didn’t make much difference to the insurance when I told them.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 09:19   #9
lovejoy489

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
My 17” wheels had IIRC 215/50/17 tyres on. They weren’t stretched at all but not balloon like - more of a square profile which looked pretty good but reasonably practical too.

I’ve looked at Oceans too but I think the car really needed to be lowered a decent amount (see pic for perfection in my eyes!) for them to look good, but that puts extra pressure on clearances too so tyre choice is even more critical. I think they also have polished barrels so probably a strict dry weather only tyre (no salt on the roads!).

Pegs look ace on a 9 series, they are one of the few non deep dish wheels that look ok IMHO.
I still like the look of steelies too.

It seems that to get the right look for Oceans, the car needs to be lowered some, which i think is easier for the 740/940/early 960 series, but not so easy to lower the later S90/V90s (because of their rear suspension type). Either way, Oceans really do look one of the best for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post

Jack
Of course, gotta keep our insurance companies sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
When I put my 17” Citroen steels on it didn’t make much difference to the insurance when I told them.
I think most companies are flexible with upgraded wheels, an if its a OEM Volvo wheel, which could have been available at that time (same period) then it wont be a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to lovejoy489 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 09:33   #10
lovejoy489

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Fairly sure they are 225/50/17 extra load tyres I have
Nice, they look great. I would prefer 17s rather than 18s.

Ive always liked another Volvo wheel too, the 17 inch Comets, they just have that right look about them, an seem to work with many early Volvos.

This link looks interesting, not sure if ive put all the exact info in, but it lets you configure wheel tyre options.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=50mm&sr=0mm

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/s90/1997/