Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter plus pack or aux heater

Views : 2871

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2016, 00:09   #1
Usualwill

Default Winter plus pack or aux heater

I'm about to finalise spec on my order and am stuck on 1 final option, here is my spec so far

Momentum D5 Powerpulse AWD
Magic Blue
Xenium pack
Illumination pack
Seven seat comfort pack
Privacy glass
Apple car play
12.3 TFT display

I have about £1000 still to play with and am torn between selecting the Winter plus pack or the aux heater (unfortunately I can't stretch to both)

Not bothered about the heated windscreen but the winter plus pack appeals because of the bending headlights with shadow technology. I like the fact that they can shadow the light to not blind oncoming or following cars but can still give full beam everywhere else at the same time. However I also like to idea of the aux heater as the preheat function does seem very appealing on a cold morning. Which one would you recommend and why?

Finally I'm considering the dark flame inlays instead on the brushed aluminium standard inlays (standard charcoal interior). Thoughts?

Would welcome any opinions, particularly from anyone who has got either installed on their XC90

Thanks
Usualwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 00:52   #2
yeoman
Master Member

Winter pack.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yeoman For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:47   #3
kenny
Master Member

I had a BMW with a webasto heater and it was just amazing, push the remote control as you head into the shower and after a few minutes the blowers come on. By the time you've had your coffe the car it all defrosted with the engine at full temperature. You just can't beat them.
I have also had heated windscreen but whilst I loved the quick defrost the heater elements anoyed the hell out of me, most people can't see but my eyes are just drawn to them.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:50   #4
Mezza

I would go winter pack for the lights too.

A lot of discussion on this forum about the inlays. Some have said that the metal dents where the seat belt clobbers it on return. Others have said that the birch is too dark and too shiny. Personally I would probably stick with the metal because I think dark wood is a little old fashioned (can you not get the lit wood?) but I can't really comment because I have gone for carbon in the R-Design.

The choice is yours!
Mezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mezza For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:40   #5
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usualwill View Post
I'm about to finalise spec on my order and am stuck on 1 final option, here is my spec so far

Momentum D5 Powerpulse AWD
Magic Blue
Xenium pack
Illumination pack
Seven seat comfort pack
Privacy glass
Apple car play
12.3 TFT display

I have about £1000 still to play with and am torn between selecting the Winter plus pack or the aux heater (unfortunately I can't stretch to both)

Not bothered about the heated windscreen but the winter plus pack appeals because of the bending headlights with shadow technology. I like the fact that they can shadow the light to not blind oncoming or following cars but can still give full beam everywhere else at the same time. However I also like to idea of the aux heater as the preheat function does seem very appealing on a cold morning. Which one would you recommend and why?

Finally I'm considering the dark flame inlays instead on the brushed aluminium standard inlays (standard charcoal interior). Thoughts?

Would welcome any opinions, particularly from anyone who has got either installed on their XC90

Thanks
Haven't got my car yet, so not commenting from experience. However, consider how much you would benefit from the bending headlights compared to the aux heating.

No doubt aux heating is fantastic, but I've never had it in a car and haven't missed it, a bit of a luxury that I can live without. Modern cars with heated seats etc don't ever feel cold for long to me, they soon warm up.

The bending headlights however are something that will enhance the driving experience every time you drive at night.

:wq
familymangreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:53   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

Your spec is similar to the order I've just placed. I went with both the Winter Plus pack and the Auxiliary heater but omitted the 7-seat Comfort pack.

XC90 D5 Momentum in Bright Silver with Blond leather
19" wheels
Xenium pack
Winter Plus pack
Illumination pack
BLIS
12.3" Display
Auxiliary Heater
Privacy glass

The advanced headlights in the Winter pack swayed me to order that one and heated washers are good to have. Everyone who has the Auxiliary heater says it's the dog's danglies and it overcomes the problem of modern diesels taking ages to warm up. I initially considered the 7-seat pack but decided against it because I've had dual climate in cars for over 20 years and 99% of the time the systems have run in sync mode with the same temperature on both sides. I couldn't see that changing with a 4-zone system. Plus, I'll seldom have anyone in the rear-most seats and even if I did it would be on very short journeys. There have been reports of extra fan noise from the rear vents between the front seats with the 4-zone system. Also, if you intend keeping the car beyond 3 years, consider the extra complexity of a 4-zone system and potential maintenance/repair costs. (I assume there'd be an additional evaporator/refrigerant circuit for the rear system.) I know from personal experience just how expensive aircon systems can be to repair. Replacing the evaporator on my Merc was nearly £2,000 but luckily the initial diagnosis was wrong and it cost 'only' £1,000 in the end.

Whilst a cooled glovebox sounds cool (ahem!) I had one in another car and really never used it.

I initially ordered the Dark Flame inlays but after realising how shiny they are I changed the order to standard aluminium. I would've gone for Linear Walnut but that is only available on Inscription models now. Apparently, Volvo underestimated the demand for this trim and the supplier cannot keep up.
_

Last edited by Lexman8; May 17th, 2016 at 09:56. Reason: Clarification
Lexman8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:38   #7
StewartM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post

.....Everyone who has the Auxiliary heater says it's the dog's danglies and it overcomes the problem of modern diesels taking ages to warm up.....
Regarding the comment about diesel warm up time, are the latest ones not fitted with PTC Heaters ?
StewartM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 12:50   #8
Deman77
Master Member

Aux heater by a margin especially at current lower price. I have both and having lived through the relatively mild winter in the south with them you would have to pry aux heater from my dying hands. Winter pack is good but nowhere near the comfort. You get heating boost - hot air in 30sec vs 5-7min without it. Pre-conditioning is just great too as you can just step into completely warm car (for all passengers) and it also warms up the engine. Also all the windows get defrosted in minutes not just front and back and don't forget the wires in the windscreen- once you notice them they will bother you no end.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 20:28   #9
Usualwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Your spec is similar to the order I've just placed. I went with both the Winter Plus pack and the Auxiliary heater but omitted the 7-seat Comfort pack.

XC90 D5 Momentum in Bright Silver with Blond leather
19" wheels
Xenium pack
Winter Plus pack
Illumination pack
BLIS
12.3" Display
Auxiliary Heater
Privacy glass

The advanced headlights in the Winter pack swayed me to order that one and heated washers are good to have. Everyone who has the Auxiliary heater says it's the dog's danglies and it overcomes the problem of modern diesels taking ages to warm up. I initially considered the 7-seat pack but decided against it because I've had dual climate in cars for over 20 years and 99% of the time the systems have run in sync mode with the same temperature on both sides. I couldn't see that changing with a 4-zone system. Plus, I'll seldom have anyone in the rear-most seats and even if I did it would be on very short journeys. There have been reports of extra fan noise from the rear vents between the front seats with the 4-zone system. Also, if you intend keeping the car beyond 3 years, consider the extra complexity of a 4-zone system and potential maintenance/repair costs. (I assume there'd be an additional evaporator/refrigerant circuit for the rear system.) I know from personal experience just how expensive aircon systems can be to repair. Replacing the evaporator on my Merc was nearly £2,000 but luckily the initial diagnosis was wrong and it cost 'only' £1,000 in the end.

Whilst a cooled glovebox sounds cool (ahem!) I had one in another car and really never used it.

I initially ordered the Dark Flame inlays but after realising how shiny they are I changed the order to standard aluminium. I would've gone for Linear Walnut but that is only available on Inscription models now. Apparently, Volvo underestimated the demand for this trim and the supplier cannot keep up.
_
Thanks for the feedback. I take your point on the 4 zone system and tend to agree, however we would regularly be using the 3rd row of seats so having air con to them will be important (otherwise I'll have kids moaning it's too hot!). I am edging towards winter pack for the lights but am not a big fan of heated windscreens. If only the lights were a standalone option!
Old May 17th, 2016, 20:33   #10
Usualwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Aux heater by a margin especially at current lower price. I have both and having lived through the relatively mild winter in the south with them you would have to pry aux heater from my dying hands. Winter pack is good but nowhere near the comfort. You get heating boost - hot air in 30sec vs 5-7min without it. Pre-conditioning is just great too as you can just step into completely warm car (for all passengers) and it also warms up the engine. Also all the windows get defrosted in minutes not just front and back and don't forget the wires in the windscreen- once you notice them they will bother you no end.
I was going toward the winter pack until I read your post, you make a very compelling case for aux heater. Is the aux heater on a lower price at the moment?