Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800s and 1800ES at Auction

Views : 4413

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:46   #1
nozamaman
VOC Member

Default 1800s and 1800ES at Auction

for those who may be interested I have had an email from simon.langsdale@
classiccarauctions.co.uk works for Silverstone Auctions they are auctioning a 1964 1800S and a 1800Es on 5th December he did not send me the website details nor any photos

Last edited by nozamaman; Nov 16th, 2015 at 12:47. Reason: Spelling
nozamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nozamaman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 13:07   #2
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

I think this is Classic Car Auctions sale of 5th December.
The Volvo 1800S has details on this website

http://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/1964-volvo-1800s
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Groundes-Peace For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 19:19   #3
iwakbogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundes-Peace View Post
I think this is Classic Car Auctions sale of 5th December.
The Volvo 1800S has details on this website

agreed with you
iwakbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 12:25   #4
Tint

Does not look too bad on the bodywork of course underneath could be a whole different story.
Some wierd looking chrome circular bits on the front of the car between the headlights and grill, anyone any ideas what they might be.
Looks like it has a sunroof, any ideas if that will be an after market one.
Dash looks like aluminium facia missing.
Door window winder is off and in side pocket.
Be interesting to see what it goes for.
Tint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tint For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 12:42   #5
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

The glass sunroof will be an after market one, probably fitted in the 70's or 80's.
The dash is not original and it looks like the speed and rev counter are from later model.
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groundes-Peace For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2015, 10:35   #6
mike gilbert
Master Member

In addition to whats already been mentioned, the car is missing its front and rear screen trim which on an early model like that is chromed brass - very hard to find second hand now. Wrong grill which is not much of a problem. But there is a large amount of filler in the offside rear wheel arch which is a big one. Great number plate though, which must be worth a fair bit and could partially offset the work needed.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 17:05   #7
ibarnett01

The very nice looking ES only made £11,800 and the 1800S sold for £8k.
ibarnett01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 18:43   #8
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi ya

That volvo P1800s looks like a real.nice geniune exampe unmolested in my book that goes a long way apart from the aftermarket dash clocks, one big question is what on earth are the two mushroom headed bolts one each side of the grill ? It has me pondering what could they be there for ! Nothing OEM that's for sure lol

But that's the type of car I would buy anyday nice spec aswell has my vote

Kind regards

Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Dec 5th, 2015 at 18:49.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 08:20   #9
TMC

I was at the auction.

The 1800ES was lovely and had been subject to a 'monumental' rebuild at some point in the past, but looking through the history file it was very well documented and reviewing the car it had been carried out to a very high standard. Being hyper critical the only thing that slightly disappointed was the 'rucking' on the front of the driver/passenger seats and a loss of colour in the leather....nothing that couldn't be easily sorted. Worth noting is that she was bought by a dealer, I couldn't help hear that he was chuffed to bits and he'd expected it to make up to £15k. It'll be interesting to see what the prices is when she comes to market....any guesses?

The P1800 was......in my opinion rough/poor (having pulled my own car out of a barn after 28yrs it was considerably better and 1/4 of the cost). The car had most definitely been subject to considerable work in the past (poor) as 'all' of the panel 'groove's were missing (evidence of filler). The front wings had quite possibly been replaced once already as the seam lines had all split. Rear arches had evidence of filler, and door/sills all showed evidence of work in the past. I didn't even bother to look under the car and couldn't check out the boot as it was locked. For me the most interesting thing on the car was the number plate and this is quite possibly what drove the price to its level. She had been owned by the same person for 49yrs, a Surgeon working in Kings Cross hence the registration....999 KX. I can see this coming off the car and the car being retailed again.....she was a brave project in my opinion.

Despite my lack of success on the day, the auction was great, good selection of cars and some bargains to be had.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMC For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 10:10   #10
davidw6092

I was at the auction as well.I agree with the previous observations, but would add that the ES had lost its seam between the headlight and indicator light.I cant remember if there is supposed to be a drain hole or two beneath the rear glass window,there were none present on that car,but without them any rain water just sits in the channel below the window.
The p1800 looked solid underneath,but its front outriggers were somewhat agricultural.I think if the paint was stripped off a whole load of problems could be found.
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidw6092 For This Useful Post: