Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of buying a V40..

Views : 1417

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 07:38   #1
Momo330d

Question Thinking of buying a V40..

Hi all!

My first post here so be nice?

My wife is looking at buying a Volvo V40. She's after one of the earlier "new model" V40's - so around the 12/13 year range.

Looking through the basic specs she's been drawn to the 2.0ltr D4 engine. Spec wise we don't mind as long as it's SE or above.

I myself am a BMW nut! I've owned my 330d Sport for around 7 years now and know BMW's inside out!

I'm very new to the Volvo world save for my bro once owning a 2002 2.4ltr S80 for a short time (was very problematic).

I know Ford own Volvo and from what I understand the 170+bhp 2.0ltr engine is Fords 2ltr Tdci engine. Is this correct?

Is there anything I need to watch out for on these engines? Are there any known major issues with the D4?

I have seen the thread regarding EML coming on due to EGR failures. I noticed that Volvo still don't seem to have a fix for it. I have also seen various threads regarding injector failure. I remember injectors being a weak spot on the previous generation Mondeo 2.0ltr TDCI engine. Has this been sorted?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We both love the look of the new V40 but we're getting put off by the stories we're hearing/reading regarding engine reliability.

We had a 2.0ltr Tdi Leon Fr before. While VAG cars don't have a great emissions reputation of late - the engines (especially the CR ones) are pretty much bullet proof if looked after correctly and with my wife now using this car for work we don't want to have to deal with a car that will be in the Volvo garage as much as our own. lol.

Thanks in advance.
Momo330d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 13:33   #2
steV50

Volvo parted company with Ford in 2010.

A 2012/13 2.0 litre D4 is a Volvo built 5 cylinder engine and nothing to do with the Ford 2.0D engine. I have never read of any major issues with the 5 pot D4.

Hope this helps.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 13:52   #3
Momo330d

Thanks for the reply SteV50

Can you confirm if the EGR problems i've been reading about (see below)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

and injector issues (i've seen a couple of threads, but thinking this may be the older engines) affect this engine?
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 14:16   #4
steV50

I think you will find the EGR issue is with the new 4 cylinder D4 engine, this is also Volvo's own engine introduced more recently to replace the old 5 cylinder D4. A 2012/13 car will have the well proven 5 cylinder D4 engine.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 14:52   #5
Panther22

Yeah the EGR problem/s is with the newer 4 cylinder engines, which is what I have. Im having EGR issues. Other than that the car and my main Volvo dealer have been great. Its a lovely looking car and a joy to drive, I have the lux version with alot of extras. Having driven a VW Golf, Seat Leon Cupra 20VT MK1, MK2 FR previously im very pleased with the V40. The only thing tainting that is the EGR problem, which hopefull will be sorted before the warranty runs out in 2 years.

Having driven a V40 D2 courtasy car whilst they did a EGR update I would definately go for a D4. Its alot more powerfull and fuel performance (on the 4 cylinder) is great aswell. Its not as fast as my old Leon Cupra MK1 but that was chipped to 280bhp.

Last edited by Panther22; Nov 2nd, 2015 at 14:54.
Panther22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 19:34   #6
Momo330d

Thanks for the replies guys. Put my mind at ease regarding some concerns thankfully..

Is the D3 the same engine? Just de-tuned?

Does it have a timing belt? Or are they chain driven like BMW's? If it's a belt what is the replacement interval?

Thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 21:06   #7
steV50

Yes, the five cylinder D3 is the same engine but less power.

I believe the timing belt interval is 6 years/108,000 miles.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 20:14   #8
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo330d View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Put my mind at ease regarding some concerns thankfully..

Is the D3 the same engine? Just de-tuned?

Does it have a timing belt? Or are they chain driven like BMW's? If it's a belt what is the replacement interval?

Thanks
You need to be very clear what D3 engine it is that you are looking at.

The current line-up of V40 engines in the new cars are all based on the 4 cylinder 'VEA' new Volvo engine:
D2 = 2.0l 120bhp (one turbo)
D3 = 2.0l 150bhp (one turbo)
D4 = 2.0l 190bhp (two turbos)

In older models, you'll find different engines with the same badge designation:

D2 = 1.6l 114bhp 4 cylinder (from Ford)
D3 = 2.0l 148bhp 5 cylinder (from Volvo)
D4 = 2.0l 174bhp 5 cylinder (from Volvo)

There isn't an exact age cut off, as older engine cars will still have been registered later by dealers after sitting around for a while. The D4 VEA was also the first to be produced, so at that point you had a D2 (Ford), D3 (old Volvo 5 cylinder) and D4 (new Volvo 4 cylinder) in the line-up - just to keep things interesting!

So to answer your question - with the older engines, the D3 is a detuned D4; but in the newer engines, the D3 and D4 share the same engine block, but the D3 only has a single turbo vs two on the D4.

All have a timing belt, timing will depend on the precise engine you are looking at.