Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bonnet Open Warning, but it's not??

Views : 10577

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2015, 21:37   #1
Steamdrivenandy

Location: on the edge of North Staffs, south of Crewe, looking out over Cheshire in awe and wonder
Default Bonnet Open Warning, but it's not??

Driving down to Cornwall tomorrow, topped up the washer bottle and when I closed the bonnet the warning message and red warning came on saying 'Bonnet Open'.

I've opened and shut it several times since, but the warning remains. The bonnet is definitely held firmly as it springs up when you operate the boot opening handle and the retaining safety clip is working too. When I close it all the surfaces are flush and I can't pull the bonnet up, it's held firm.

So sounds like an electrical fault, but is there a way to clear it?
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 00:12   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

There is a switch in one of the latches which sounds like it's faulty, damaged or disconnected. If slamming it doesn't help, just ignore the message until you can get latch replaced (as long as its mechanically locked ok).
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 08:22   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I'd try a liberal dose of WD40 or such product first. If that fails, see if you can find the sensor, sometimes the need the metal contact strip bending so it pushes the switch in.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 09:50   #4
GrantA
Master Member

The bonnet is plastic and the latches are on either side of the bonnet at the front so don't push down in the middle, establish where the latches are and push the bonnet down above them. If you push down in the middle of the bonnet too hard to close it may warp and sometimes doesn't spring back up to its "normal" shape...... oops!
Old May 9th, 2016, 17:55   #5
V70RAWD_Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
The bonnet is plastic and the latches are on either side of the bonnet at the front so don't push down in the middle, establish where the latches are and push the bonnet down above them. If you push down in the middle of the bonnet too hard to close it may warp and sometimes doesn't spring back up to its "normal" shape...... oops!
I know this is a year old but to correct GrantA....The bonnet is made of aluminium, not plastic! Also, these bonnets are designed to be dropped not pushed closed. However, you drop them from 2-3" not slam them or drop them from a height.
V70RAWD_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:47   #6
MartinK

I had the "bonnet open" message a few weeks ago.

A liberal dosing of ACF-50 (I find much better than WD40) squirted into the bonnet catch mechanisms and all sorted itself.

I did wonder if the mechanisms had got water in...as the issue followed a wet spell where I had done lots of driving on wet salty roads...
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 18:16   #7
Joekitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamdrivenandy View Post
Driving down to Cornwall tomorrow, topped up the washer bottle and when I closed the bonnet the warning message and red warning came on saying 'Bonnet Open'.

I've opened and shut it several times since, but the warning remains. The bonnet is definitely held firmly as it springs up when you operate the boot opening handle and the retaining safety clip is working too. When I close it all the surfaces are flush and I can't pull the bonnet up, it's held firm.

So sounds like an electrical fault, but is there a way to clear it?
Hi
Just cured it on my 59 plate R design V70. Open the bonnet and there is a connector on left hand side looking from front. Two wires black and blue undo connector and short out the connector on dash side. Tape up and leave disconnected. Problem solved. Alarm activates and no warning.
Joe
Joekitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joekitt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 10:08   #8
dshbc

Default V70 bonnet sensor problem

Mine had the same problem too, I have read on this forum before and found that the WD-40 was the cure.

I just opened the bonnet and then put some Wd-40 around both catches, then use a flat head screw driver to push it to the closed position, go back into the car and pull the bonnet switch again then repeat the same procedure few times.

It's been fine for half a year now, it's only when I go over some very bumpy roads it starts to come up again ,but it settles once I get back on normal roads.

I m also wondering if the rubber seal on the underside of the bonnet helps to keep the bonnet down as well, as I think it the suction might help to keep the bonnet at the same level even when the car rattles over bumpy roads which sometimes trigger the sensor to tell me the bonnet is open.

Nevertheless, I have managed to drive at 70+ mph with the that message on, but sometimes it might trigger the alarm if it detects that the bonnet is open after you have locked your car, which has happened few times.
dshbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dshbc For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 07:45   #9
John-wbt1

Default Sorted with wd 40

I encountered the same problem sheet filling the washer bottle.
That the bonnet light came on constantly.
I did open the bonnet when the temp was below zero.
So initially put it down to something freezing and hopefully when the temp was above zero, the problem would go away.
But it didn't.
However safety trading many posts on a similar vein here.
I decided to try the wd 40 approach.
I down the the licking catches with wd 40.
But didn't appear to help.
That was at 6pm
At about 9pm the same night.
The car alarm suddenly went off in the drive way.
I open the door and stayed y the car to clear the alarm.
And then realized the earning sign had gone..
So obviously it just something that for seized over the years and eventually the wd 40 worked through and freed the problem.
So far so good...

2011 v70 D5 auto.
John-wbt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John-wbt1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 17:32   #10
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Refer you to this thread for additional cases and actions.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279884