Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front anti roll bar bushes

Views : 2357

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2014, 22:49   #1
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Default Front anti roll bar bushes

How hard and whats involved in changing them I've done them on other cars but never the volvo. It can be my New Year's Day hangover cure , are the clamps accessible. Any advice tips tricks welcome.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2014, 23:04   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

I haven't done them, but I spent some time inspecting them and trying to establish how to replace them. They look a complete pain to replace. Sub frame needs removed etc.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2014, 23:07   #3
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
I haven't done them, but I spent some time inspecting them and trying to establish how to replace them. They look a complete pain to replace. Sub frame needs removed etc.

Ohh joy lol I thought as much dancake , thanks mate it might be worth having them done the same time as the clutch then. As the sub frame has to be dropped for that. I've just said these things never come in 1's on another thread lol.

What a load of agg I may aswell fit my own clutch and DMf because dropping that I'm halfway there lol, I really can't be assed on my back in the driveway lining up a bell housing I don't know how matt did it I take my hat off to him. My right hand man isint in the best of health of either which compounds my issues and we can't manhandle the volvo on the back of the flatbed like we do with the e36's. Life's a bitch then you die a mate lol

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 19th, 2014 at 23:22.
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 00:21   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Ohh joy lol I thought as much dancake , thanks mate it might be worth having them done the same time as the clutch then. As the sub frame has to be dropped for that. I've just said these things never come in 1's on another thread lol.

What a load of agg I may aswell fit my own clutch and DMf because dropping that I'm halfway there lol, I really can't be assed on my back in the driveway lining up a bell housing I don't know how matt did it I take my hat off to him. My right hand man isint in the best of health of either which compounds my issues and we can't manhandle the volvo on the back of the flatbed like we do with the e36's. Life's a bitch then you die a mate lol

Subframe does not need to be lowered when the clutch is done. Just the crossmember bars. I also want to put polybushes on our front ARB and dread the moment I have to do them.....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 00:43   #5
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Subframe does not need to be lowered when the clutch is done. Just the crossmember bars. I also want to put polybushes on our front ARB and dread the moment I have to do them.....
I know not too take it to the guy down the road now gatos lol, I thought it sounded a bit far fetched when he breathed in deep and said the subframe had too be dropped and made a mountain out of a mole hole hill, if I could do it myself clutch and DMf I'd do it myself , as far the arb bushes I bet mate lol I wasn't going to poly bush them but might aswell they sound like more agg to replace than the clutch does.

I won't be buying a car next time the way the roads are it will be a 4x4.

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 20th, 2014 at 00:49.
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 00:48   #6
Matt86
Premier Member

I did find a way of doing it without dropping the subframe. And no you won't be doing it lol, it was rather painful and a horrid fit.

Basically you will drop the subframe to access the bolts to swap them over. I'd get polybushes on them Kieran you'll never have to worry about them for the life of the car. I've done mine on polys and it's much nicer. Need to find some rear ones too.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 01:23   #7
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Why do these car manufacturers make things so god damn awkward lol, it's done deliberately I'm sure it is . I know matt more is the pity I hate having to take my car in tbh, because at least when you do it youreself you know it's been done properly, but certain jobs you don't have a choice.

And how you rebuilt youres from scratch on the driveway I will never know matt. You certainly have a lot of patience.

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 20th, 2014 at 01:32.
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 01:34   #8
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Why do these car manufacturers make things so god damn awkward lol, it's done deliberately I'm sure it is . I know matt more is the pity I hate having to take my car in tbh, because at least when you do it youreself you know it's been done properly, but certain jobs you don't have a choice.

And how you rebuilt youres from scratch on the driveway I will never know matt. You certainly have a lot of patience.
Time, persistence, good vocabulary on swearing.

Car Photos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 01:39   #9
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
Time, persistence, good vocabulary on swearing.
Are these any good mate http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-...item43bd0eff83 .
Old Dec 20th, 2014, 07:35   #10
Matt86
Premier Member

Look like s40 2004> to me you want this

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=7669

Bare in mind, you need to cut the old rubber bush out the mount to place over these bushes. It's a pain but it's how I did it. I aquired an old front arb set to prepare them beforehand.

Car Photos