Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bleedin brakes.

Views : 924

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 05:26   #1
Wooders

Default Bleedin brakes.

I have been a bit lapse at changing the brake fluid, I know it's normally 2 yrs but it's been on my list of jobs to do for the last 3! Now showing red on my brake fluid tester,so.
Couple of questions:-
1- what is the best way to bleed an ABS system?
2- Are the one man bleed (gunson) systems ok to use?
3- Will the system gravity bleed? Or better just getting the wife to assist with pedal pushing?
4- Which brake fluid to use? Castrol SRF is meant to be the best,but is it worth £50 a litre??!!??
Any thoughts?
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 10:19   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Volvo stuff is good but you can use ATE Blue DOT4 as it has similar specs to DOT 5.1 specifications and as it is Blue in colour you can tell easily when bleeding the new stuff coming through.

An Eze bleed system works well enough but there are many one man systems that'll do the job. Or simply two man and one presses the brake (SLOW AND EASY) whilst the other operates the bleed nipple, keeping the reservoir topped up.

You need approx. 1litre to do a bleed.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 16:37   #3
Wooders

The ATE is just what I needed,great idea being blue,and at £10 a ltr, not too expensive,cheers!
Going to try the easy bleed, but with low pressure first and then up the pressure till it just works,scared of damaging seals.
Unless I manage to rope someone in to help me,then it's old school!
Cheers.
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 16:46   #4
Alan C30

watch the pressure!

I have heard somebody blew the reservoir apart!!

you do get vacuum type as well.

I just get a helping foot from the Mrs :-)

I did once put the air line on it to clear some REAL problems but used it very carefully
Alan C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 17:46   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

I used a Sealey VS820 pressure bleeder for my S60 and it's the best £40 I've ever spent. Simple, powerful and safe and it cleared out all manor of rubbish from the system. I reckon it hadn't been bled for 5+ years.
For fluid, I used Halfords Dot 4 @£17 for 5 litres. Their 1 litre bottle was £10 so it was an easy decision and as it is, I don't think 1 litre would be enough when using a pressure bleeder on a system that's a little overdue.
The car now brakes like it was new.
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 17:56   #6
AndyMcc

The system requires 1lt for a full change.

I use the Gunson Self bleed kit. A doddle to use a very quick. Pressure is provided by the spare tyre ( just make sure you reduce the tyre pressure down to about 15 psi and re pressurise afterwards ) otherwise you can pop seals etc. one tip is to remove as much of the old stuff beforehand. Prevents odd and new mixing in the brake reservoir

I start rear nearside, rear offside, front nearside then front offside. Very easy job.

Andy
AndyMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 17:59   #7
Wooders

I was planning on hooking it up to my compressor, starting with the pressure at zero on the regulator and slowly increasing until I see fluid coming out of the open bleed nipple,(that's if I cannot get a spare body for pedal duty).
I didn't think a litre would be enough either, so bought 2 litres.:-D
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 18:03   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMcc View Post
The system requires 1lt for a full change.
Are you including the clutch in this figure?
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 18:37   #9
AndyMcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Are you including the clutch in this figure?
No sorry, actually I seem to recall the brake system is 800ml, 1lt should be more than enough for a complete flush out and renew. The clutch is separate to the brakes.

Andy
AndyMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 19:58   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMcc View Post
No sorry, actually I seem to recall the brake system is 800ml, 1lt should be more than enough for a complete flush out and renew. The clutch is separate to the brakes.

Andy
Fair enough.
It seems a shame to have nice fresh fluid in the brakes and 3 year old gunk in the clutch so you may as well do the clutch whilst you're in bleeding mode.
That's why I buy more Dot 4 because 1 litre might be borderline.