Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diagnostic Kit

Views : 1696

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2014, 20:40   #1
arrowsmith5623

Default Diagnostic Kit

Hi,

I have been to my Volvo garage today and been charged for clearing a fault code, in my opinion, an unjustified amount.

I am aware that there is a home diagnostic kit (Software for laptop, connectors etc) that can be purchased ?

I have heard there is on for Volvo's (VAIDS) or something similar ?

Could someone help ? I have a Volvo V50 SE 2.0 D RDesign.

Many Thanks
arrowsmith5623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 21:18   #2
robinbanks

Hi. Look up vida dice on here. There is loads of very useful info about it. There is even a map that shows you where people are that are willing to help you out with diagnostic kit.
robinbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 22:45   #3
arrowsmith5623

Default Diagnostic Kit

Many Thanks.
arrowsmith5623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 22:59   #4
DT19
Master Member

A much cheaper option is an Android app called Touchscan which is free and and a Bluetooth OBD2 unit from Ebay for about £15. Ideal for clearing codes easily and quickly, and it'll tell you what the code means.

If you want to do in depth diagnostics then go for VIDA and a DiCE unit, if you just want to clear a code and save a few quid get Touchscan.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 10:44   #5
Andru

If you get the Vida software you can use the Dice unit to diagnose. I have read up for the last few weeks regarding this and learnt so much from here,hopefully!!

I've just ordered this for £76 after much research, I'm hoping it's going to be a help with my car.
www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6170981533.html

I know tools like this are only as good as the operator,so we will see.
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 11:25   #6
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

I've recently updated VIDA to 2013D, after a few teething problems which were sorted out with the help of another forum member its up and running under W7 professional edition.

I used it yesterday with DICE to clear error codes and reset the ECM adaptive values after work on the car.

Well worth the investment, if you've already have the laptop then the cost will be covered by one visit to the garage you don't need to make.

You can do everything a dealer can do apart from install software.

Generic readers are OK, but, they only read generic OBDII codes. Sometimes these are not 100% accurate and also they usually only read the engine ECU. As an example, with the repair we've just done, I read the codes using an Autel unit, the result was fault in throttle pedal, connection to CEM or throttle position sensor. VIDA said throttle position sensor, difference in readings from the two circuits in the sensor and I was also able to read live data from the sensor to confirm.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 12:37   #7
Andru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
I've recently updated VIDA to 2013D, after a few teething problems which were sorted out with the help of another forum member its up and running under W7 professional edition.

I used it yesterday with DICE to clear error codes and reset the ECM adaptive values after work on the car.

Well worth the investment, if you've already have the laptop then the cost will be covered by one visit to the garage you don't need to make.

You can do everything a dealer can do apart from install software.

Generic readers are OK, but, they only read generic OBDII codes. Sometimes these are not 100% accurate and also they usually only read the engine ECU. As an example, with the repair we've just done, I read the codes using an Autel unit, the result was fault in throttle pedal, connection to CEM or throttle position sensor. VIDA said throttle position sensor, difference in readings from the two circuits in the sensor and I was also able to read live data from the sensor to confirm.
That's interesting.
I read my codes with an Autel unit also,it gave me 2 ECU error codes,both relating to my remap. It didn't give me a code for my condenser fan at the front not coming on. I'm hoping that my Vida2014A and my dice will tell me. I'm playing with the software at the moment until mu Dice arrives and trying to work out what's what.
On a separate note do you have any tips or instructions on how to use it correctly and to get the live data feeds.

Cheers
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 13:55   #8
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

If you get the VIDA software working first then you're a good proportion of the way there. When you get your DICE, just plug it in and let Windows find the software, this should install the latest driver and support software.

The only thing I wouldn't do is try to update the firmware or your DICE, some people have had success but others have ruined their DICE.

When hardware and software are working, plug in to your car and spend some time looking through VIDA. One of the first pages you come to is reading from the car. If this works OK, you're cooking on gas!

You should find that the 'help' section in VIDA works and provides backup information if you're not sure of something. I'm not saying Volvo Techs aren't the brightest but the guidance is based on a simple level

Most of the information is reference, eg parts diagrams and 'how to'. Reading and changing happens in the Diagnostic section (this will be greyed out until DICE is connected). You can read the error codes, select specific modules to check, eg ECM, read live data, erase codes, even operate actuators to check operation. From error codes you can access background information and repair guides, where a procedure is linked to a repair operation there will be a link, for instance, resetting adaptive data after a replacement part.

Once you've 'read' your car, much of the information is saved so you can view and research later. You will find that VIDA changes based on the specifics of your car as everything about the car is saved on the Volvo database, but just remember, anything you do won't be saved to the database as you're not connected.

Last edited by Missing Lincs; Jul 30th, 2014 at 13:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2014, 14:38   #9
Andru

Vida 2014A is working fine on my laptop and I'm looking around the software on a daily basis,just to get familiar with it.

The one I have purchased is the Pro+ version with updatable firmware!which I will not be doing after reading stories of 'bricking' the unit. It's good that my info will be saved locally so I can go back to research at a later date.

Do you think it will pin point the error that is stopping the condenser fan from working? It seems coinsidental that it happened after I did a remap,the aircon was working fine before that. Would that have the capability of stopping the fans working? I was reading on vida last night that the fans send a signal to the ecu regarding faults. The 2 error codes I have researched on the net and all the conclusions are they are from the map eg, incorrect crc value returned,due to remap etc.
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 09:28   #10
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

VIDA won't let you go into the actual programming data, downloading an ECU is beyond VIDA. It will allow you to see detailed fault information so you might get some clues. It will certainly show up any fault signals from the fans and also if a fault elsewhere is inhibiting their operation.

If you think the remap is the problem you could get it removed by having the original programming reinstated, then if the problem goes away you know its the remap?