Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti-Skid Kicking In?

Views : 1020

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2014, 23:27   #1
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Default Anti-Skid Kicking In?

Right, Can I confirm something first of all please? On a start up the car goes through its system checks correct?

Every time I go to my local tescos for fuel, I'll start the car up and drive off and when I get to the roundabout, if I go all the way round I always without fail have the anti-skid kick in and kill the power and the traction control light flashes on the dash until I straiten up and come off the roundabout.

It doesn't seem to do it anywhere else? Have I just driven off before the systems can all go through the start up checks and having that much lock on and set speed is confusing the system?

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 00:09   #2
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Most likely scenario is cracked abs ring on the passenger side, easy to check out,cheap and easy to replace. Mine did this for ages until I sussed what was causing it, the abs thinks you are skidding because it cannot read the speed of the left front wheel properly cause of the cracked ring , it is very pronounced on tight turns like small roundabouts when the front wheels are travelling at very different speeds.
Get replacement rings from J&R online they are about 2.50 versus 30 quid from volvo, there are lots of how tos online
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 14:31   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I'd also just double check your axle bolt is tight on the passenger side.

A question would b does it do it every time going round other roundabouts or even a 2nd time round the same roundabout? It has the possibility of being a steering wheel angle sensor or even the Yaw rate sensor. Chances are though it is reluctor ring or axle bolt.

You could always try a couples of times ensuring you have driven fast enough to 12mph after starting car but before getting to roundabout. At 12mph the for the first time of every journey the car does an ABS self test, I'm sure you hear the clunk noise every time you drive off for the first time?

See if the car still does it after the ABS self test has been conducted.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 16:05   #4
pgm
Master Member

Is the sensor ring not built into the wheel bearing on these?

Paul
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 18:47   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

yes

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 19:08   #6
VenomS40

I will go and give it a few tries first of all. I was thinking it was the self test feature as I doubt I've reached 12mph by time I get to the roundabout. I will go and try it out without turning the engine off and see what happens?

As for replacement rings, I know on my Evo the ABS rings are built in but you can get replacements for £15 compared to a complete new drive shaft!! Guessing this is the same situation that they can be changed without spending loads on new unneeded complete units?

I'll report back soon with a verdict.

Old Feb 16th, 2014, 22:17   #7
VenomS40

UPDATE

Just got back from some back to back tests and everything was fine?

I think it has something to do with me just starting the car up and the systems going through its checks?

I will still inspect the rings, just to make sure. But I done some 2nd and 3rd gears going round the roundsabouts and pushing the car and the TCS didn't kick in once...

The Following User Says Thank You to VenomS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 22:36   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
Right, Can I confirm something first of all please? On a start up the car goes through its system checks correct?

Every time I go to my local tescos for fuel, I'll start the car up and drive off and when I get to the roundabout, if I go all the way round I always without fail have the anti-skid kick in and kill the power and the traction control light flashes on the dash until I straiten up and come off the roundabout.

It doesn't seem to do it anywhere else? Have I just driven off before the systems can all go through the start up checks and having that much lock on and set speed is confusing the system?
No the ABS never gets confused for safety reasons , The most likely cause is one of the wheel bearings sliding out of the hub carrier , it only needs 2mm to make the wheel signal weak ..as the sensor is further from the rotating magnetic ring . check the R/H side first , the bearing should be flush with the face of the hub behind the disc , if it is protruding any amount that is the problem .
There are no toothed rings on these ! many small magnets built into the wheel bearing seal ...

Last edited by Clan; Feb 16th, 2014 at 22:38.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 08:03   #9
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
You could always try a couples of times ensuring you have driven fast enough to 12mph after starting car but before getting to roundabout. At 12mph the for the first time of every journey the car does an ABS self test, I'm sure you hear the clunk noise every time you drive off for the first time?
Hm, never noticed that
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 02:02   #10
VenomS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No the ABS never gets confused for safety reasons , The most likely cause is one of the wheel bearings sliding out of the hub carrier , it only needs 2mm to make the wheel signal weak ..as the sensor is further from the rotating magnetic ring . check the R/H side first , the bearing should be flush with the face of the hub behind the disc , if it is protruding any amount that is the problem .
There are no toothed rings on these ! many small magnets built into the wheel bearing seal ...
Cheers Clan, is this an expensive fix? I don't know if it be to bothered about this as there aren't any warning lights and no issues other than the odd one on the same roundabout?