Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sticking/Delayed Clutch pedal?

Views : 20444

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2013, 18:56   #1
FishyFinger

Default Sticking/Delayed Clutch pedal?

Im unsure if this is a big problem or not on my 2010 2.0D

Sometimes .. especially when I give the car some mOOse , the clutch pedal seems to stick before returning.... I have been able to simulate this when the car is stationary . Ive read around the forum regarding this and owners have wrote to change the fluid.. BUT this seems to be on a sticking pedal that wont return unless lifted by foot. Mine will spring back but after a delay.

Any Ideas ..... could it be any easy fix by changing the fluid ? Or is it more a clutch strip down to investigate? I dont think the clutch is covered under Volvo seletk warranty?

Thanks
FishyFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:41   #2
hodgo64
hodgo

Smile sticking clutch pedal

hi, i've had the same experience with my c30, which is also a 2.0 D. ( co-incidence?). found fluid level a bit low, so topped it up, so far not happened since. fingers crossed it may be as simple as that!
hodgo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hodgo64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 13:00   #3
FishyFinger

Fluid is topped up but pedal is still sticking / delayed when returning... it doesn't do it everytime. today I noticed a pulsating feeling through my foot from the pedal when its pressed down ?
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 13:03   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFinger View Post
Fluid is topped up but pedal is still sticking / delayed when returning... it doesn't do it everytime. today I noticed a pulsating feeling through my foot from the pedal when its pressed down ?
Take off the brake fluid cap and if the rubber belows on the underside of the cap is extended , press it back in flat .. try that first ..
If you still have the problem it could be a sticking clutch release bearing/cylinder which SHOULD be warranty . it isnt the actual clutch .
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 13:19   #5
FishyFinger

Ive checked and pushed it back as it was 'bellowed' But pedal is the same. I think im gonna have to bit the bullet and contact the local dealer...
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 13:53   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Ive checked and pushed it back as it was 'bellowed' But pedal is the same. I think im gonna have to bit the bullet and contact the local dealer...
some air may have entered the system due to this so give it a day of use and an overnight wait first, any bubbles will rise to the reservoir then if this is the case ..
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 15:18   #7
bongodave
I've Been Banned

This is gonna sound daft, but make sure the pedal is not slightly jamming against the carpet or mat. Had this once on a jag.
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 15:46   #8
FishyFinger

Thanks for all suggestions. I'll check the mat and see how it is tomorrow after its been stood over night.

I have just got off the phone to Hatfields Bury. I asked Service if there was anyway a tech could be asked if they have experienced this fault before. I was told no technical information cant be given out ?

The problem I have even though the car is under Selekt warrenty I dont want to book the car in until I know the problem is covered. Im ex-motor trade and know alot of technicians who could fix it cheaper than Paying Volvo dealers .
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 17:01   #9
chiptivo
Premier Member

Interesting, I was giving the new C30 a check over and noticed this ballooning cap, just left it as it was and my son (who drives it) is complaining today that the clutch doesn't rise with his foot. He said it is delayed and then whacks the bottom of his foot a split second later.

I'm guessing the balloon is sinking into the fluid and have a air lock effect?

Sound about right?

Can the rubber be replaced, as when I looked, it looked like the rubber had deteriorated due to the fluid?
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 20:20   #10
ukojesita

Quote:

Any Ideas ..... could it be any easy fix by changing the fluid ? Or is it more a clutch strip down to investigate? I dont think the clutch is covered under Volvo seletk warranty?

Thanks
I had a similar problem with my v50. When doing short journeys, no problem with the clutch; however, when driving for couple hours, the clutch pedal would stick.

I decided to change the fluid; to my surprise, I got black gunk coming out of the bleeding screw instead of clear-ish fluid. Eventually, I had to replace the whole slave cylinder/release bearing assembly (CSC) - solved the problem for me.
ukojesita is offline   Reply With Quote