Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Your experience of XC90 problems...

Views : 3933

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2013, 15:07   #1
Shaz303

Unhappy Your experience of XC90 problems...

Hi all

I would like to buy an XC90 but as soon as I feel I have finally found my ideal family car....this sort of things strikes fear into me.
Please check out this link :
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar...owners-reviews

Due to my budget I will most likely purchase a 2009/2010 xc90 that has done about 45K-60Kmiles. The last thing I want are repairs that are about £1k plus each time!

Have any of you experienced these problems? Some cars just fall to pieces after 70K miles.. is the XC90 one of them?

Thanks, Shaz
Shaz303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 17:21   #2
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

If you are looking at an 09/10 plate, presumably with a full dealer service history, you'd be highly unlucky to get a bad one...

At the end of the day, the XC90 is a very complex vehicle, BUT all cars today are complex, and the build quality of the XC90 is certainly far superior to a lot of other marques in the UK car parc!

As long as you get a decent inspection, if you aren't up to it yourself, and there's a traceable history, you should be fine...

Mike

PS, my XC90 is fast approaching 201,000 miles....
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducklakeview For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 19:51   #3
GJB
Premier Member

Smile Overall picture

The problem with any forum people only come with problems usually so the good news is hard to come by I have had problems BUT overall it is no worse than a lot of other cars and in some ways a lot better.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 22:46   #4
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz303 View Post
Hi all

I would like to buy an XC90 but as soon as I feel I have finally found my ideal family car....this sort of things strikes fear into me.
Please check out this link :
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar...owners-reviews

Due to my budget I will most likely purchase a 2009/2010 xc90 that has done about 45K-60Kmiles. The last thing I want are repairs that are about £1k plus each time!

Have any of you experienced these problems? Some cars just fall to pieces after 70K miles.. is the XC90 one of them?

Thanks, Shaz
got an active 2010 bought new in 03/2010. Done 50k mile now.
only had one wheel bearing and one sensor in exhaust.
So, not 100% reliable but not bad either.
I am wondering if another wheel bearing is not going but not sure.

Last edited by reggie59; Sep 18th, 2013 at 22:52.
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reggie59 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:34   #5
moncman

The Honest John review looks at the whole production run from 2002. Further to that most of the poor experiences are from cars of the 2004 to 2006 era. At that time if I'm correct Ford were firmly in charge. Components were of relatively poor quality to save a few quid and customer service was poor. I believe the occasional dealer still has some hangovers from that time but my experience of a 2010 model and local dealer is excellent.

What's more my dealer is open to negotiation and so servicing and accessories and very reasonable.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 16:24   #6
Shaz303

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
The Honest John review looks at the whole production run from 2002. Further to that most of the poor experiences are from cars of the 2004 to 2006 era. At that time if I'm correct Ford were firmly in charge. Components were of relatively poor quality to save a few quid and customer service was poor. I believe the occasional dealer still has some hangovers from that time but my experience of a 2010 model and local dealer is excellent.
Thanks! i'm going to pop over to my local Volvo dealer to see if the warranty period of Selekt cars can be extended from 1 to 3yrs.
It's not just the Honest John reviews that have caught my attention.
Some of the horror stories here on Auto Trader have alarmed me :
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-revi...lvo/xc90/23662
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 16:46   #7
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Thanks! i'm going to pop over to my local Volvo dealer to see if the warranty period of Selekt cars can be extended from 1 to 3yrs.

Wouldnt worry about those reviews, as the all seem to be by the same one or two people, and some of the "reported" issues are just not typical of the XC90.
Yes faults will occur with any car, but a lot of the "issues" with second user cars are down to the lack of maintenance/abuse from the first user ... like all cars of this type, there is no such thing as a cheap lunch, you buy an XC90 you pay the bills or suffer the problems ... buy the newest and best serviced (with providence) you can find ... buy an older one, you may end up with "old" problems, when it all boils down you pay your money and take your choice .... if you want serious issues with frightening bills, buy something that says Discovery or Range Rover in its description.

Dont forget its only people with problems you hear about, never the one that dont.

hope it helps

Last edited by TruckbusUK; Sep 19th, 2013 at 16:57.
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 16:50   #8
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
As most bad entries are from 2 people who put multi entries and slag it off I tend to take the whole revue with a very large pinch of salt.
Most happy people don't go onto any web site most are just happy, the only reason most go onto a web site is when they have a problem I will stick my neck out and say I am sure most are happy with value for money and yes they do break down and mine has but I still maintain it is a good if not great car.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 22:21   #9
Shaz303

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
Wouldnt worry about those reviews, as the all seem to be by the same one or two people, and some of the "reported" issues are just not typical of the XC90.
Yes faults will occur with any car, but a lot of the "issues" with second user cars are down to the lack of maintenance/abuse from the first user ... like all cars of this type, there is no such thing as a cheap lunch, you buy an XC90 you pay the bills or suffer the problems ... buy the newest and best serviced (with providence) you can find ... buy an older one, you may end up with "old" problems, when it all boils down you pay your money and take your choice .... if you want serious issues with frightening bills, buy something that says Discovery or Range Rover in its description.

Dont forget its only people with problems you hear about, never the one that dont.

hope it helps
Thanks for your comments. I'm going down to Volvo this weekend to see it and test drive it soon after.
If you get a chance at some point..check out this video..
How does your experience compare to this person's review :

http://youtu.be/ucyHsbyH1LE
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 00:52   #10
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I'm going down to Volvo this weekend to see it and test drive it soon after.
If you get a chance at some point..check out this video..
How does your experience compare to this person's review :

http://youtu.be/ucyHsbyH1LE

OK I watched it ....

What a load of BOLLOCKS, some valid points and the majority is crap ... primary point he makes is

Thw Volvo XC90 is not a safe car to drive. what a knob! and talking crap.

The take off lag, some cars seem to suffer, mine a MY2009 doesnt.
Its a slow car on acceleration ... IMO I think for 2.7 tonnes is more than OK.
It wanders all over the road ... the car needs 4 wheel tracking checked, mine is surprisingly stable at well over 100 MPH where road laws allow!
The car floats all over the place .... again 4 wheel tracking need done.

What you need to remember about this "review" is its a 2013 review of a 6 year old 60K mile car that obviously needs properly serviced, and its tracking done, and possibly dealer applied software/firmware upgrades.

It was amusing, but dont know who or what his occupation is, but its a very poor, and ill informed review of the marque in general, but of the particular car he "tested" possibly 100% accurate, but everyone has there likes and dislikes, but if mine exibited these "issues" I'd get it fixed, rather than complaining about it.

All my own opinion, but mine exibits virtually none of these "issues" highlighted in the vid.

Again you pays your money and takes your choice, nothing to beat an owners view and an actual test drive ... as I've said go and drive a 6 or 7 year old Disco 3 if you want a laugh!

Hope it helps

Last edited by TruckbusUK; Sep 20th, 2013 at 00:55.
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post: