Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wet passenger footwell, no sunroof

Views : 12884

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2013, 19:10   #1
AndySaxton

Default Wet passenger footwell, no sunroof

Any ideas?!

It's happened once before in France in a torrential downpour, but I put it down to the fan sucking in water.

This time though, it was raining very hard (cars aquaplaning across the motorway kind of hard), so I turned the fan down in case it sucked in water.

I thought all was well until I got home and rubbed my hand in the corner of the passenger footwell (where your left foot would go) and it was damp, Pulled back the carpet and the drain tube was damp. It's still pee'ing down so can't really check, but is there a common issue?

As I say, I don't have a sunroof, so can't be the sunroof drain tubes. Split drain tube from the tub perhaps??

Wil investigate when the rain stops!
AndySaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 15:55   #2
Daniel76

Hi Andy,

I have the same problem with my Volvo XC90 right now. I first thought that it was coming via the windscreen but now I'm not so sure.

Last week it rained almost everyday so when I jumped in the car on the weekend the passenger foot well was deep in water.

Did you find out what was making the water enter your car?

Dan
Daniel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 16:20   #3
AndySaxton

Hi,

i didn't, but did do a lot of research to try and whittle it down.

It doesn't leak when it rains, I've found that out. It only leaks when it really really pours, and I have the fan turned up high.

This leads me to think it either is the fan sucking in water, or it takes a lot of water to make whatever is leaking to leak. However, When I jet wash the car it doesn't leak. When I pour water all over the scuttle, the windscreen, the door pillars it doesn't leak. So I'm left a tad frustrated!

I found a thread talking about the seal around the air intake leaking, but I haven't investigated this further. So for the time being, I'm just not turning the fan on in very heavy rain!

Let me know if you find an answer, as it can;t be good for the car (happy to say I've got all the water out)
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 16:23   #4
pug27

Check the water drain off holes located under the screen, you will have to more than likely lift the bonnet. If these are blocked with leaves or other crud water builds up and spills through the heater air intakes resulting in wet footwells.
pug27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pug27 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 18:41   #5
AndySaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug27 View Post
Check the water drain off holes located under the screen, you will have to more than likely lift the bonnet. If these are blocked with leaves or other crud water builds up and spills through the heater air intakes resulting in wet footwells.
I think I might get the air compressor out and give it a blast!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 16:51   #6
paulodipoggio

I had the same problem a year or so ago.
Car parked in pouring rain all night and a puddle in passenger footwell.
Very intermittent problem - as you say no amount of jetwashing/buckets of water could replicate it - I think it was just the amount of rain and angle parked.
Had a similar problem on an old 850, which was a blocked drain for the air intake so sounds a similar solution to that already suggested by Pug
paulodipoggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:17   #7
AndySaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulodipoggio View Post
I had the same problem a year or so ago.
Car parked in pouring rain all night and a puddle in passenger footwell.
Very intermittent problem - as you say no amount of jetwashing/buckets of water could replicate it - I think it was just the amount of rain and angle parked.
Had a similar problem on an old 850, which was a blocked drain for the air intake so sounds a similar solution to that already suggested by Pug
As much as I'm sorry for you too...it's good to know I'm not alone!
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 21:15   #8
AndySaxton

UPDATE

Pouring down today, and left the car in work car park on a hill, nose facing down. Got in the car and noticed drivers side footwell was soaking. Swore. A lot. Pulled off and got a spout of water coming from the headlining and onto my crotch!!

However, that was good news in diagnosing the problem as it made me look up, and mess around with the headlining and windscreen seal to the car body. Upon closer examination it looks like someone has experienced this before me and tried to fix it with black silicone.

So the bad news is it looks like a new windscreen, as I believe you can't remove, fix and replace??
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 22:38   #9
gmonag
Premier Member

There is no reason why the windscreen can't be removed and re-attached if it is good condition. Give Autoglass a call.

Greg
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmonag For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 14:40   #10
AndySaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
There is no reason why the windscreen can't be removed and re-attached if it is good condition. Give Autoglass a call.

Greg
Just rung North East Autoglazing. Booked in for Friday, £60 to remove and reseal.

Thanks again.