Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Glasgow to Southampton - place your bets!!!

Views : 5882

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 17:39   #1
dacvolvo
eVolvolution

Question Glasgow to Southampton - place your bets!!!

I'll be driving from Glasgow to Southampton shortly. Google Maps tells me the journey will be 431 miles.

Will I be able to make the journey down to Southampton and back to Glasgow one one full tank of fuel (862 miles round trip)?

My car's a Volvo S80 D5 (53 plate) 163bhp in great condition, manual, 140,000 miles on the clock. Had her 6 monthly oil and filter change 2 months ago, had four brand new tyres fitted 2 weeks ago and fuel filter changed a few months ago too. The DIM has been sitting at around 54.3mpg (average) for the last few months now (dips to 54.0 mpg occasionally).

I always run her on V-Power diesel and I'm just curious to see how much fuel she will eat on this round trip journey.

I'm going to try and keep the speed to 65mph (speed limits/weather/traffic conditions permitting).

Place your bets now - how much fuel will be left over from one single tank?
dacvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 18:07   #2
XC70Mark
"Custom User Title"

I reckon you'll have to cut your speed a bit more to get that from a tank without frayed nerves...

I've filled with 50 miles on the trip computer countdown and just over 800 on the trip odometer, but that was in Italy, on the second class highways with 80-100kmph limits...

Saying that mine's a V70 and has the EuroIV 185bhp engine...

Bung a cannister of Diesel in the boot and remember, don't trust the OBC mpg figure, the countdown stops at 15 miles, after that all you get are sphincter clenching dashes...
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 19:30   #3
Bernard333
Premier Member

I think it depends on the amount of traffic you encounter from south of Preston and minimising acceleration and braking but I would think its possible to do the round trip with a gallon or two still in the tank . Will be interested to see what mpg you manage brim to brim calculation . You would need to be doing around 50 mph or less to get the best mpg but clearly would not be a good idea on the M1 if everyone else wants to go faster so agree with you 65mph is probably the best speed to go with the flow .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 19:47   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quite simply NO.

I think you would have a chance if you were doing the run to say Exeter/Plymouth from Glasgow but the roads you need to get you to Southampton will see you doing some uneconomical driving, especially so depending on time of day.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 20:14   #5
chiptivo
Premier Member

It would be tight, but yes, careful driving.

Good luck, just like a top gear challenge.
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 20:21   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I reckon you won't make it, but if will be close.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 20:32   #7
I-S
Premier Member

I don't agree with Sonyvaio - the a417/419 and a34 are decent dual carriageways other than birdlip hill, especially now that Swindon has been sorted out. Otherwise you're on m6, m5, m4 and m3, in that order.

As for whether it's doable... It's close. You'll need about 60mpg to make it.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 20:37   #8
XC70Mark
"Custom User Title"

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
I don't agree with Sonyvaio - the a417/419 and a34 are decent dual carriageways other than birdlip hill...
I wouldn't say that in anything but clear traffic conditions...

I live on the IOW, the ferry goes to Southampton, and I regularly visit relatives in Leicestershire, the A34 isn't a good road to maintain a cruising speed, in my experience

Not as sure of the A417/419 but every time I've been there it's not been gridlocked, but it was hardly motorway clear...
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 20:50   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Assume you can average 54mpg in real life.
Distance to travel is 862 miles
This equates to using 15.96 gallons
This translates to 72.47 litres
A V70 Fuel tank holds 70 litres
Therefore can you "squeeze" and extra 2.47 litres into the tank/filler nozzle??

If you can = Success
If you can't = Fail

I think you can : but I agree carry a spare an of diesel incase you run out.

I do know my T5 would deffo run out of fuel on the way back and my AWD R on the the way there ....

Good luck

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 20:59   #10
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
I don't agree with Sonyvaio - the a417/419 and a34 are decent dual carriageways other than birdlip hill, especially now that Swindon has been sorted out. Otherwise you're on m6, m5, m4 and m3, in that order.

As for whether it's doable... It's close. You'll need about 60mpg to make it.
I was more talking about volume of traffic and why I mentioned time of day. This is what would see the uneconomical driving (start/stop, slow moving, delays).

Even still, I don't think it would make it either way.

Good luck though and have fun trying, I would pack that extra fuel can though and make sure your mobile has a full charge.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote