Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I'm impressed...

Views : 4285

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:29   #1
Pesky

Default I'm impressed...

..with my XC60 on snow.

I know it is a big AWD car, sort of designed for this weather.

No problems with traction & grip, 4wd was working.
I think it would be unstopable on winter tyres.
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:43   #2
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
..with my XC60 on snow.

I know it is a big AWD car, sort of designed for this weather.

No problems with traction & grip, 4wd was working.
I think it would be unstopable on winter tyres.
Mind if I ask what tyres you're running?
As I said in another thread I have Conti Contacts front and Pirelli P Zero Rosso rear,and they're really not much good in the snow. Little bit more traction for getting going with AWD, but braking on snow is no better than 2WD, as expected.
Have finally bitten the bullet and ordered a set of Nokian WR G2, after hedging for a long time. Probably get them just in time for the snow to clear
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:54   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Just remember that winter tyres are not just about getting moving in snow, though if the are M&S tyres this is a clear advantage.

The difference between winter and summer tyres is also about the compound that is used, summer tyres become hard in low temperatures, whereas the winter tyres retain their flexibility.

The advice is that winter tyres are better than summer at temperatures below 7C.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:02   #4
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Just remember that winter tyres are not just about getting moving in snow, though if the are M&S tyres this is a clear advantage.

The difference between winter and summer tyres is also about the compound that is used, summer tyres become hard in low temperatures, whereas the winter tyres retain their flexibility.

The advice is that winter tyres are better than summer at temperatures below 7C.
Thanks wimorrison, I'm aware of that. Just curious that some people feel they are getting better performance from AWD with "summer" tyres in winter conditions. My experience is slight improvement in traction for getting going but still bl**dy lethal going downhill. Though I must say the hill descent control works quite impressively even with summer tyres - which I didn't expect.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:09   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
Thanks wimorrison, I'm aware of that. Just curious that some people feel they are getting better performance from AWD with "summer" tyres in winter conditions. My experience is slight improvement in traction for getting going but still bl**dy lethal going downhill. Though I must say the hill descent control works quite impressively even with summer tyres - which I didn't expect.
I would expect that coming from a 2wd car into an AWD you would experience soem benefit, especially if the car is new and the tyres are not worn.

This was my experience as the first snow I met (in the XC60) was about 6 weeks after I purchased the car and performance was 'acceptable'; the second snow about 5 months after I purchased the car proved to me that summer tyres are not what you want on your car (certainly not P Zero Rosso) if you want to retain control and get the benefits of what you have paid for.

I have Cooper Discoverer winter tyres, 3rd season now and I can confidently say that you are much safer and you know you are in control, not relying on luck (or supposed skill).
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:13   #6
Pesky

My car has standard 17" Michelin Lattitude tyres fitted.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:19   #7
Mountain Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
My car has standard 17" Michelin Lattitude tyres fitted.
Ah I see. Are these Latitude Cross or Diamaris? Just had a look at these and both have more of a block pater than either of my tyre types, especially the Latitude Cross. Which may explain why the snow performance you're experiencing is better than mine.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:31   #8
Lippy r design

Hi guys, I am currently running Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D on my XC60, we have had about 3 inches of snow here in Holland where I currently live, the main roads are cleared but the housing estate roads are untouched. Although we supposedly live in the flat area there is a nice hill to drive up to go to work which isn't cleared, the XC is 2wd and I can say I am mightely impressed, no problems at all, i Can't say this for the Range Rover I passed which was stuck. I am off to Bavaria Skiing for a week on Sunday and i think this will be the real test, fingers crossed, mind I have my snow chains just in case. When i return I will let you know how i got on.
Vespa PX 2004
Vespa PX 1978
Lippy r design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lippy r design For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:38   #9
Pesky

I believe they are Latitude Diamaris.

Would not attempt serious snow drifts but on 6"+ fresh & slushy snow no problems.

Braking performance is ok, although the XC60 is quite heavy.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:04   #10
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat View Post
As I said in another thread I have Conti Contacts front and Pirelli P Zero Rosso rear,and they're really not much good in the snow.
Equally lethal having grippy tyres on the front (winter) and less so on the rear (summer). Hope your Nokian's arrive soon.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote