Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B5254S to B5244S - Conversion Transfer?

Views : 1251

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 08:34   #1
toxophilus
Anti-Social Genius

Default B5254S to B5244S - Conversion Transfer?

I'm currently in the process of trying to sell my MY2000 P1 V70 Classic which has the B5244S motor.

A neighbour has expressed interest in it because his 1998 V70 (B5254S motor) is due for replacement. His car has an LPG conversion which he is investigating the possibility of transferring onto mine.

I think it should be possible without any major upset; the only difference I can see between the two is that his has dizzy ignition where mine doesn't; and mine has a different throttle arrangement.

Anybody got comments or pointers that we should take into account?

toxophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 19:40   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

As I understand it, provided that the two engines are broadly similar (ie: same number of cylinders, same basic layout, similar fuelling requirements etc) it shouldn't present too much of a problem.

I have thought about this for when I eventually change my 97 V70, which has the B5252S engine, and was told that the major components (regulator, solenoids, tank, filler and ECU) would be moved across, but that new pipework and wiring would be needed.

Last rough price I was given was around the £600 mark. Best place to get it done would be the firm that fitted the coversion to the existing car I guess. They should have all the right bits and bobs and software etc.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 09:44   #3
toxophilus
Anti-Social Genius

Cheers Jack

That's broadly my thoughts. Unfortunately the original fitter is no longer trading; however my neighbour has been in discussion with the people at Thirsk who seem to be the recommended LPG fitters in the North - they seem pretty confident that it shouldn't be much of a big deal but its just a case of dotting i's and crossing t's.

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 10:06   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

The ECU and throttle control will be totally different and how the LPG ECU communicates with the vehicles ECU will differ, you might end up needing a new LPG ECU. The inlet manifol will differ so the LPG injector holes will need to be drilled as you won't be able to swap the manifolds from one car to the other - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 10:14   #5
toxophilus
Anti-Social Genius

I think the only concern here Mike is the ECU - there was never any mention or even consideration of swapping the manifold! The whole idea is to strip the LPG system only off my neighbour's car and fit it to mine with no modification of the engine!!

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 20:56   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxophilus View Post
Cheers Jack

That's broadly my thoughts. Unfortunately the original fitter is no longer trading; however my neighbour has been in discussion with the people at Thirsk who seem to be the recommended LPG fitters in the North - they seem pretty confident that it shouldn't be much of a big deal but its just a case of dotting i's and crossing t's.
If you're talking to Autogas 2000 at Thirsk then from my own direct experience you're talking to guys who know their stuff!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote