Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition problem - stuck :(

Views : 10588

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 08:53   #1
Jeepster98

Default Ignition problem - stuck :(

Hi

My XC90 has now developed a lovely ignition problem - the key will not turn past the I position

I called the AA who tried their best but unfortunately were unable to help turn the key.

I spoke with my local volvo garage who said I need a new ignition lock, which including labour will take 2 hours to fit and cost £394.

The problem I have is the garage do not do recovery and I am stuck with the car (in park) and unable to even tow it to the garage.

The AA will only tow to a local garage (which I don't use) and not to my volvo dealer.

Any ideas I can try - even if I can get the key going once so I can drive to the garage?

I searched the forums and see there have been a few issues similiar to mine but unfortunately I'm not DIY minded and it would have to be a very easy bit of tinkering

Thanks
Jeepster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 09:44   #2
Nuncillius

Bad luck Jeepster98

This happened to a friend of mine whilst towing his caravan in France. I have asked him (by text) how he fixed it, will let you know if/when he gets back to me.

If it were me in your position I'd go back to the AA and basically try to get some sympathy from them. I wouldn't bother with the folks who answer the phone or drive the vans, I'd try to get to a manager or someone more senior and really lay it on thick, how long you've been a loyal customer, how rarely you call them out etc etc, and I'd explain why taking it to the closest garage was a waste of time. Or maybe offer to pay towards getting them to take the van to your preferred garage?

Hope you get it sorted.

Nuncillius
Nuncillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:23   #3
Nuncillius

Friend got back to me, says it was a 10 minute job for him. Have a look at the link below:

http://www.vimeo.com/15161534

He said he removed the small spring loaded pin. This is the bit that gets jammed. The video is a full strip down, but only the little pin needs to be removed. You can dig it out with a small screwdriver after taking off the steering column cowl (cover).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Nuncillius; Feb 7th, 2012 at 12:38.
Nuncillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 13:01   #4
Jeepster98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuncillius View Post
Friend got back to me, says it was a 10 minute job for him. Have a look at the link below:

He said he removed the small spring loaded pin. This is the bit that gets jammed. The video is a full strip down, but only the little pin needs to be removed. You can dig it out with a small screwdriver after taking off the steering column cowl (cover).

Hope that helps.
That's great - thanks for getting back to me.

Will let you know the outcome
Jeepster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 22:45   #5
Zster

Exclamation key sticks in ignition & can't shift gears

I have a 2002 S60 and it has begun to not allow the key out of the ignition when leaving the car or sometimes it won't shift gears when starting the car. It gets worse in the cold. I have to wait sometimes up to 15 mins before it will finally "release" the key so I can either exit or shift gears. Has anyone else had this type of problem & if so, what was wrong with it?
Zster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 03:06   #6
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:

Hope that helps.
What is the function of the pin? In the video it is called the 'relocker'? There was a previous thread describing a case where that pin fell out and the lock worked just fine.

Imagine having to drill four holes in the body of the lock to remove the cylinder! I have removed, lubricated and then reinserted the lock cylinder on a relative's Jeep. In the Jeep, there was a spring loaded pin which protruded from the body of the lock which when pressed in allowed the cylinder to be removed. Does the Volvo system really contribute to theft resistance?
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 17:03   #7
hancym
Master Member

Quote:

Hope that helps.
I beg to differ this is NOT a 10 minute job. It took me 2 to 3 hours alone to remove the blind headed bolts that hold the barrel to the steering column.
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 18:08   #8
sumomeister

Exactly the same thing happened to me 6 weeks or so ago. Nice guy at RAC stripped down the ignition so I could get it started with a screwdriver.

I then bought a new ignition barrel from FRF Swansea and got a local garage to fit it.

Can't remember the exact costs, but it was in the region of £170-£200 for the barrel and couple of hours labour in the garage.
sumomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 23:00   #9
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
I beg to differ this is NOT a 10 minute job. It took me 2 to 3 hours alone to remove the blind headed bolts that hold the barrel to the steering column.
If it is the 'relocker pin' which is the problem, is it possible to remove the pin with the lock in place? That is, if one removes the plastic housing, is there access to remove the metal cap on the hole which contains the relocker pin and spring?

If I remember correctly, in your case the pin fell out and you just reassembled the lock without the pin. Was there any change in function of the lock?
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 15:27   #10
pyp2012

Angry Help i'm also at the end of my tether

i really have enjoyed driving my 06 XC90 D5, but oi have not enjoyed the many faults it has developed along the way, i now a stranded vehicle with the same fault with the ignition not turning past position I. i am in East london and cannot get my AA to recover the vehicle to get it to a garage, ive read some of the solutions but im afraid i am not tech savvy at all. main dealers and independents quoting circa £400-450 for new barrel and fit.....is there anything cheaper i can do as im also having swirl arm issues...basically garage tell me need new swirl arm assembly at around £400 all in.

any feedback is appreciated. i cannot say i will be loyal to this brand and model even tho i would want to...

many thanks guys
pyp2012 is offline   Reply With Quote