Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust advice please

Views : 4370

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2011, 20:39   #1
woodman
Master Member

Default Exhaust advice please

Hello

My exhaust has been on borrowed time for a while and it finally gave up tonight. I'm planning on keeping the car for some years so I'm interested in a stainless system if the price is OK. However I notice that the stainless systems advertised by Brookhouse say they're not compatible with the automatic transmission. I'm going to ring Simon tomorrow for his advice, but what's yours? Is this just to do with how the pipe is bracketed onto the back of the transmission, or is the pipe routing different? What's the best bet? I don't want a big Subaru-type noise, but a little more exhaust noise in exchange for a bit better oomph might be worth considering. Do the mild steel systems last long enough not to be worth worrying about stainless?

Cheers.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 22:14   #2
tom-madbiker
Master Member

stainless is good but i does tend to stress crack easily i made mine out of mild steel similar to the ruddspeed system but i havent tried it on the road yet
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 22:18   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-madbiker View Post
stainless is good but i does tend to stress crack easily i made mine out of mild steel similar to the ruddspeed system but i havent tried it on the road yet
+1 to that, especially if it's something like 316 it won't like the salt in winter. Best to check what grade of stainless they will be using first as some are more resistant but also you'll only get issues at welds exposed to salt really. If you paint the welds and if the paint stays on you shouldn't have a problem also with stress corrosion cracking.

Last edited by Burdekin; Aug 9th, 2011 at 22:23.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 22:26   #4
tom-madbiker
Master Member

i thought that 316 was ok with salt but 304 was not so good exhausts are usually made with 304 as it engineering grade not food grade and it bends easier ect
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 22:34   #5
222s
Amazoniste

316 is ok with salt - that's the marine grade.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 23:42   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

We've had cracking offshore with 316, hence why we use duplex st/st now and not 316.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 23:52   #7
222s
Amazoniste

Sounds like the issue there is that 316 isn't high tensile, rather than one of corrosion resistance, or am I misunderstanding something?

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 00:18   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

The front pipe used with the auto needs a small offset/kink to clear the levers on the side of the BW35. The auto was only available here for a couple of years but those straddled the change from single to twin downpipe manifolds. I don't know if both front pipes have to be different to the manual box ones to clear the box.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 00:21   #9
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

No it's corrosion resistance. 316 is probably slightly better than 304 but still not good in a marine environment. It doesn't rust like mild steel, it just corrodes in another way given the right environment. SCC will occur at higher stress areas like welds that haven't been pre- heat treated properly, it is also susceptible to pitting. The operating temperature is also a critical factor. So it will most likely to occur at welds, so by painting you stop the chlorides attacking the metal, so if the welds on the exhaust are painted you shouldn't have an issue. We paint all new duplex st/st even and it has considerably higher resistance to corrosion than 316.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 09:36   #10
222s
Amazoniste

Strange - I've seen plenty of marine grade 316 s/s on yachts (fittings, guardrails etc) and even stuff that is over 30 years old, and never cleaned is still fine. I guess you guys are giving it a much harder life!!!

Tags
amazon, automatic, exhaust