Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oops, a little bit of petrol into my XC90 tank...

Views : 1219

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 15:47   #1
Lycanthrope

Question Oops, a little bit of petrol into my XC90 tank...

OK, I'm feeling like a bit of an idiot/moron/knob...

Just went to fill up with diesel and managed to start with petrol instead. I realised very quickly and only put 0,61 litres in. I didn't have my phone with me so decided to fill up completely with diesel (Shell V-Power) and drive home.

This means I should have less than 1% petrol in the car...

From what I can read on the web it seems this is highly unlikely to cause any problems and I was planning to just drive around normally and re-fill with diesel sooner rather than later.

Anyone here had this experience or thoughts on the matter?

I blame Shell myself for bad colour coding, similar naming of the fuel and having the nozzles arranged unleaded - v-power diesel - v-power unleaded - diesel...
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 15:59   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
OK, I'm feeling like a bit of an idiot/moron/knob...

Just went to fill up with diesel and managed to start with petrol instead. I realised very quickly and only put 0,61 litres in. I didn't have my phone with me so decided to fill up completely with diesel (Shell V-Power) and drive home.

This means I should have less than 1% petrol in the car...

From what I can read on the web it seems this is highly unlikely to cause any problems and I was planning to just drive around normally and re-fill with diesel sooner rather than later.

Anyone here had this experience or thoughts on the matter?

I blame Shell myself for bad colour coding, similar naming of the fuel and having the nozzles arranged unleaded - v-power diesel - v-power unleaded - diesel...

Relax and TOTALLY forget it. With that quantity you will honestly be absolutely fine. If you have any further doubts do about 100 miles and fill again with Diesel to dilute furher but you WILL be okay as it is.

Darryl

Regards Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 18:14   #3
spokoluzik
Trader

some of people adding few liters of petrol to full tank during cold winter so 0.6 liter doesn't matter.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 18:15   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokoluzik View Post
some of people adding few liters of petrol to full tank during cold winter so 0.6 liter doesn't matter.

TOTALLY CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 18:34   #5
lillia
VOC Member

Glad it worked out well for you!

Quote:
So do I. I just came back from Scandinavia via Calais and on two occasions (in Germany and then in Belgium) very nearly put diesel in my petrol tank! I nearly had a heart attack when I realised how close I had come to making that error. The distinction between the pumps was minimal at best and to make matters worse, they all had the same colour and labelling. In many cases, it was only in the fine print on the actual handle that was there any indication of the difference. At some petrol stations, they all had "V-Power" in big bold lettering, with "Euro" and "95" and "98" scattered around in blue, green and black, only for me to reach for the pump and see the word "diesel" on the handle. There was also "supreme" petrol and "supreme" diesel side by side, which made things even more confusing.

Was there not a requirement some years ago that diesel and petrol pumps/tanks were not to be stored side by side in service stations due to the risk of cross-contamination or some such thing? It's been a while now, but I can recall a time across the Atlantic and even here in the UK when the diesel pumps were located in a separate section of the service station (e.g, turn left for diesel and right for petrol), so there was no likelihood of such a mix-up.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 18:55   #6
zetor160

Tee Hee..!!

Brings back memories from the late 80's - early 90's of putting half a gallon of petrol in the tank of my Volvo F7 truck to stop the diesel waxing up in winter.

This was when winter came on early in mid-Wales and we were still finishing off the summer diesel, kept the old girl going without any further problems.

Common practice then..I wouldn't worry about 0.61 of a litre.

Regards
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 20:47   #7
madnurse

Default Cooking Oil

I know someone who runs his car on a mix of cooking oil and petrol (it's NOT a petrol car!) However my XC90 has a very large label inside the filler for his benefit stating "NO BIO-DIESEL!" (ignoring the fact that all diesel in the uk is now a percentage of bio diesel anyway!)
140,000miles. Silver, Black Leather, Aluminium Dash
madnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 22:25   #8
Lycanthrope

Ok folks, thanks for all the reassurances... I'll report back how it goes...
Lycanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 08:16   #9
XC90Virgin

Quote:
Ok folks, thanks for all the reassurances... I'll report back how it goes...
I put about 2l in a month or so back (thanks to a black unleaded filler and hose), and then topped up with diesel in the normal way.

Never looked back. That was 2l in 55l+ and yours was only a quarter that. Stop worrying and drive.
XC90Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote