Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petition to reduce speed limits/single track country lanes

Views : 4934

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 07:13   #71
Weezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymusic View Post
Country life. Very relaxing, most of the time! Quiet and away from doorstep salesman etc. This particular single track is not far from Pontypridd in the Rhondda valleys so is used regularly as a "short cut" by "semi city/town" drivers. I know alot of these types of road are quite quiet most of the time away from built up areas, but this one is getting busier by the day
I sympathize with you Andy for having a local problem that,s annoying you. My local problem is them poxy little scooters that everyone puts an extra baffle on the exhaust to make them go 1mph faster.Their excessive noise when they go past my house drives me mad . Anyone up for a noise limit petition
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:53   #72
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

Quote:
the accident that happened that wrote off my Rover 75
Did this accident enable you to get your S60? - Every cloud has a silver lining.

Quote:
Country life. Very relaxing, most of the time! Quiet and away from doorstep salesman etc. This particular single track is not far from Pontypridd in the Rhondda valleys so is used regularly as a "short cut" by "semi city/town" drivers. I know alot of these types of road are quite quiet most of the time away from built up areas, but this one is getting busier by the day and therefore instead of being an occassional use road is becoming a more "main route" road, more stressed up traffic taking more chances on these roads = more accidents. We also get a lot of vehicles getting stuck, bogged down, in the mudier passing points, I suppose the local car towing place must be making a fortune out of this road.
Herein lies the REAL problem, the quiet country road is being used as a short cut to avoid the town/city roads. So you should be addressing the root of this problem, which is that the government/councils want to be in control of everything by putting traffic lights everywhere (including on roundabouts ) even the smallest junction where they're not needed, causing blocks of traffic congestion instead of free flowing traffic. You just have to go to a junction where the lights have failed to see how much better the traffic manages itself, even in rush hour! What you're doing is tackling the effect, which is the country lane getting busier. Prevention is better than cure after all.
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:15   #73
Bigcheese1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbijay1 View Post
So you should be addressing the root of this problem, which is that the government/councils want to be in control of everything by putting traffic lights everywhere (including on roundabouts ) even the smallest junction where they're not needed, causing blocks of traffic congestion instead of free flowing traffic. You just have to go to a junction where the lights have failed to see how much better the traffic manages itself, even in rush hour!
Drove into St Ives the other day and the traffic lights where broken. Normally there are queues of traffic in every direction but not this time, just slowed down to about 10/15 mph and straight across. Went through junction a few times that day exactly the same each time. Obviously the same wouldn't be true at all junctions but it makes you wonder.
Bigcheese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:50   #74
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

in my experience the traffic is usually better in that situation - until you get some numbnuts who donesn't know their cars. But the powers that be like to be in control and tell everyone its for safety, whist at the same time causing congestion so they can tell everyone to stop driving.
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 15:35   #75
andymusic
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbijay1 View Post
Did this accident enable you to get your S60? - Every cloud has a silver lining.

Herein lies the REAL problem, the quiet country road is being used as a short cut to avoid the town/city roads. So you should be addressing the root of this problem, which is that the government/councils want to be in control of everything by putting traffic lights everywhere (including on roundabouts ) even the smallest junction where they're not needed, causing blocks of traffic congestion instead of free flowing traffic. You just have to go to a junction where the lights have failed to see how much better the traffic manages itself, even in rush hour! What you're doing is tackling the effect, which is the country lane getting busier. Prevention is better than cure after all.
Yes the accident did enable me to get my S60. I was just getting used to my diesel Rover 75 as well, but there you go, I was obviously not mean't to have that car. I'm quite taken with my S60 now, got a good deal too, the dealer sold it to me as an S trimmed car, but with all the leather etc I knew it wasn't an S and Volvo UK confirmed it was an SE. Just got some mud flaps for it, 4 with volvo wriiten on, not the ones at the Volvo dealership then. Fitted it out with the volvo car mats and got the tethys 17" alloys refurbed. Just waiting now for some volvo valve/dust caps (anti-theft) and also for some upgraded Phillips Blue Vision head light bulbs. So all in all I'm really enjoying the car, very comfortable to drive as well.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 15:41   #76
andymusic
Trader

Talking a bit more silver lining

My courtesy car while all this was being sorted out was a 57 X-type Jag with all the sat nav toys etc.