Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Immobiliser won't deactivate

Views : 1066

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 21:28   #1
EricRoberts

Unhappy Immobiliser won't deactivate

Hi

I have a 1990 740 turbo estate with an immobiliser on a red fob which must be touched against a base unit on the dashboard to deactivate the immobiliser. All has been working fine until this morning when the immobiliser failed to deactivate, the red led on the dashboard continues to flash and does not go green as normal. I do not know if this is a factory fit unit or aftermarket, only got the car a few months ago.

The battery seems fine, have tried the deactivation process while hooked up to another battery just in case, and the contacts on the fob and base unit seem clean.

Does anyone know if this is a factory fit immobiliser and if there is any technique to deactivate it by, for example, disconnecting the battery etc.

I'm currently stuck in the Czech republic with the car just outside Prague and need to get the car going again ASAP.

Any help much appreciated
EricRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 22:43   #2
roadcar2000

It is probably an aftermarket fit. Had a similar problem. The only way round my problem was to remove the immobiliser and put the wireing back to original. It is more than likely mounted some where above the pedals. Remove the trim to look. Perhaps some one knows a quicker way. Good luck.
roadcar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 23:41   #3
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

As suggested above. The immobiliser is normally wired into the starter circuit so the ignition switch is disabled. Start by looking at the ignition switch itself and follow the wires from it and the base unit on the dash. Hopefully it's just a case of re-joining the ignition switch wires.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 23:49   #4
gdphillips
ba baracus...

can you post a pic of the fob and the plug........mates an installer he may be able to help
or make......
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 04:34   #5
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Exclamation I hope you are not stealing a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRoberts View Post
Hi

I have a 1990 740 turbo estate with an immobiliser on a red fob which must be touched against a base unit on the dashboard to deactivate the immobiliser. All has been working fine until this morning when the immobiliser failed to deactivate, the red led on the dashboard continues to flash and does not go green as normal. I do not know if this is a factory fit unit or aftermarket, only got the car a few months ago.

The battery seems fine, have tried the deactivation process while hooked up to another battery just in case, and the contacts on the fob and base unit seem clean.

Does anyone know if this is a factory fit immobiliser and if there is any technique to deactivate it by, for example, disconnecting the battery etc.

I'm currently stuck in the Czech republic with the car just outside Prague and need to get the car going again ASAP.

Any help much appreciated
Join the AA , they will help
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:41   #6
EricRoberts

Default Pictures of the immobilisor

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, attached are photos of the key fob and dashboard "dock" unit as requested

Joining the AA is my last resort... money is very tight so I want to exhaust all other options first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1381.JPG (129.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1382.JPG (263.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1383.JPG (90.0 KB, 6 views)
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:52   #7
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Immobilisers are great things aren't they ! It's a shame there are so many really poor quality ones about, stops anyone nicking your car though !

I expect most of the wiring will be visable if you remove the panel under the dash. Most likely lots of scotchloks and similar nastys. Hope you get it started.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 14:40   #8
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Smile try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRoberts View Post
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, attached are photos of the key fob and dashboard "dock" unit as requested

Joining the AA is my last resort... money is very tight so I want to exhaust all other options first.
Does the immobiliser have its own fuse ? i used to tuck the golf ones beside the fuse board, will probably be in a opaque plastic holder like a small pen.
if not then
1/Turn the car on with the ignition key, if the starter motor wont turn , then try with a length of wire, connect the spade terminal on the starter motor relay to the battery positive for 2 seconds. If it turns over and starts fine.
It is just a simple starter circuit immob.
2/If it turns over but does not start, SNIFF the exhaust pipe, if it is petrol smell then it is a spark immob.
connect the positive side of the ignition coil to the battery positive, repeat *1* and hope it goes
3/ If it still wont go, ie no petrol smell in exhaust when turning over, but you have spark at plugs when connecting the ignition coil.
then it is also immobilised in the fuel pump circuit.
It will be quicker and easier to pull the ashtray out and see if the offending immobiliser is wired in series with the loom underneath the fuse board.
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 11:20   #9
roadcar2000

The AA will not rewire or repair the Immobiliser but tow you to a garage.
roadcar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 13:17   #10
EricRoberts

Thanks for the additional feedback, managed to tow the car to a local garage where they are going to attempt to remove the immobiliser altogether, which suits me fine. Hopefully they will complete that work today.

Did try short circuiting the starter but with no success.

Tags
740, immobiliser