Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear hubs

Views : 791

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 19:47   #1
big-alfie

Default Rear hubs

Hi all
Its been quite a while since I last posted, probably because my V70 is so reliable. The other reason is I've been spending too much time playing with my summer soft top toy. Anyway my 2001 V70 has now done 101000 miles As I'm a great believer in replacing before failure I've replaced front ball joints, control arm bushes, pads and disc's, drop links, and cv boots. None of this work is expensive if you have the skill and tools. I'm now starting to refurb the back end, rear pads, discs, handbrake shoes and hubs as Ive detected a very slight noise in both rear hubs.

When soucing new hubs I came across GSF, who can supply hubs for £46.00+ vat. I then read a thread on here were some one used gsf hubs and and their abs light came on. There was talk on the forum that the hub has some sort of electronics in it which the abs sensor picks up? I find this hard to belive, surely the abs sensor just picks up on the castleated ring at the back of the hub. Can anyone confirm before I buy on Saturday.

Cheers Jeff
big-alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 08:24   #2
Darkest Stockton-on-Tees

I would have to agree that I find it hard to believe that someone would go to all the trouble of tooling up to make these knowing that every one would create a fault with the car, I have never known any to have a sensor or magnetised part to the hub, however I have witnessesed a £6million project where I work to be used once, filled the road tanker with product which set hard as they didnt use the right tanker and had to be land filled at quite a large cost. Bargain.
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 10:56   #3
Bernard333
Premier Member

There is electronics inside the rear hub and its different from the front hub , I fitted a german made one cost about £70 to the rear on my V70 about 60k miles ago , there were no problems even though its a cheap make , its some kind of inductive signal so there is no actual connection but nothing needed to be done to set up , just bolts on . On the front it does rely on the castellated ring but the sensor is mounted in the hub carrier , also replaced a front hub with a cheap SNR unit from Eurocarparts again no problems and cost a lot less than Volvo original parts , something like £75 .

Last edited by Bernard333; Aug 11th, 2010 at 11:06.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 16:20   #4
big-alfie

I've just spoken to gsf, when I told him about my concerns regarding the abs, he said he would check it out. When he came back to me, he said that although his branch had never sold any, there had been a lot of returns across the ****ry, so he suspected there must be somthing wrong and he would not be happy to supply them. I think that was very honest off him. I'll have to look elseware now any suggestions.
big-alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 17:06   #5
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-alfie View Post
I've just spoken to gsf, when I told him about my concerns regarding the abs, he said he would check it out. When he came back to me, he said that although his branch had never sold any, there had been a lot of returns across the ****ry, so he suspected there must be somthing wrong and he would not be happy to supply them. I think that was very honest off him. I'll have to look elseware now any suggestions.
You spelt country wrong.. lol.. The swear filter took care of it...

Made me chuckle..
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote