Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boot won’t shut

Views : 343

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2024, 01:12   #1
Bilbo1976

Default Boot won’t shut

Morning All,
My ‘05 V70 boot is stuck open
There was material stuck in the locking mechanism and as I pulled it free the locking mechanism moved to lock position.

I can’t get the locking mechanism to open again. I have tried using the fob to lock and unlock but the mechanism remains closed.

This obviously means I now can close the boot as there is no gap in the mechanism for it to close.

Any suggestions on how to open the mechanism gratefully received as I can’t drive it with the possibility it will just swing open mid journey.

Thanks
Bilbo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2024, 09:59   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1976 View Post
Morning All,
My ‘05 V70 boot is stuck open
There was material stuck in the locking mechanism and as I pulled it free the locking mechanism moved to lock position.

I can’t get the locking mechanism to open again. I have tried using the fob to lock and unlock but the mechanism remains closed.

This obviously means I now can close the boot as there is no gap in the mechanism for it to close.

Any suggestions on how to open the mechanism gratefully received as I can’t drive it with the possibility it will just swing open mid journey.

Thanks
If you have already tried levering the catch open in case there is any fabric caught within the hasp/catch, try locking the car using the key fob, wait a few minutes until you hear the dead locks to engage, the boot lock may well have closed in the deadlock position and won't disengage until all the other dead locks disengage.

If that fails, try using the boot lid button on the keyfob.

If that too fails try disconnecting the car battery, briefly touch the disconnected +ve and -ve leads together to dump anything in the system memory, then reconnect the battery.
See thread 8
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283836

The "cold reset" may clear the lock memory, but be aware that the car will have to re-learn normal running parrameters which takes around 20 minioutes or so mixed running. There is a speedier way of updating the memory which you can find on the internet.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; May 19th, 2024 at 10:02.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2024, 15:57   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Closing the hatch on said material may have just plain broken it.
Check for that first.
All I can think of is to prepare the lock to open as best you can. ASt85's suggestions sound good.
Then ascertain which direction the moving part (latch?) should go when it does unlock.
Then, with the help of another, have them unlock the hatch (pressing the required button) while you assist the part along with long nose pliers.

Did you hear the lock/unlock motor actuate during your feel-out of this problem?

Does your V70 have the "emergency access hole" above the number plate?
There's a rubber plug on some which you remove to reveal a lock cylinder.

I'm no expert, but I have been reading about V70's for ~20 years and you may reach the point where you have to remove the trim panel to access the guts of the hatch.

Also (just a guess), might the hatch's lock motor be on its own fuse?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2024, 19:45   #4
Dippydog
Premier Member

Further to the above replies while the boot won't shut properly I'd remove the trim panel from the tailgate so that if you do get it to shut properly you're not then stuck for access to the lock if it won't open again.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2024, 00:30   #5
Bilbo1976

Default Photos attached

I’ve tried levering. Won’t budge.
Taken off the trim and when I’m pressing the fob the licking mechanism is all moving but the metal ‘catch’ pictured in the photos is just jammed shut.

The piece of fabric was very small, was just stopping free movement.

Is there a manual release of the catch anywhere at all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3448.jpg (58.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3447.jpg (105.3 KB, 26 views)
Bilbo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2024, 17:33   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

I don't know whether there's a manual release on the lock itself.It sounds as if the mechanism that holds the lock in the locked position has jammed/caught on something have you tried pressing the latch further into the locked position[possibly while operating the unlock button] to see if this eases the pressure on the mechanism keeping it locked and thereby allowing it to "spring" free?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2024, 14:51   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I just took a squint at my working latch. I'm looking at it in open position.
First difference is that yours appears to have suffered severe physical damage, possibly several times.

You've taken the interior panel off.
You can't check to see if the stamped sheet metal part of the lock moves in its proper plane because you can't get anything to budge.

It might be time to remove the latch, noting its position precisely for reinstallation or replacement.
With it out of the hatch, another angle of inspection might present itself.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2024, 20:17   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I'd probably just ditch and replace it

many are available in the usual place

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285648658...Bk9SR6SyrcnzYw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126155951...Bk9SR_S8uMnzYw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296389988...Bk9SR_S8uMnzYw

check compatibility obvs

-------------------------
mini project - link