Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC for towing

Views : 828

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2022, 07:43   #1
wheelnut

Default XC for towing

Advice please.
When I retire in a couple of months, my company V90 will be going back and I would like to replace it with a facelift (2013-2016) XC60.
I tow a 1500kg caravan so am looking at automatic diesel models. I have discounted the D3 and the array of D4 and D5 engines and drive systems is confusing.
I like the sound of the five cylinder engines but also the 8 speed gearbox of the 2.0 D4 2wd.
Any advice on fuel economy I can expect or suitability.
Is the R Drive better or worse for towing.
Thanks in advance.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 10:10   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Morning,

I've owned both a D5 AWD (MY15) and a D4 FWD (MY17) and towed heavy loads with both.

The later D4 FWD (2015-2017) is slightly more refined, especially under moderate throttle at medium revs, but the D5 noise isn't unpleasant.

In terms of performance, the D5 has the edge but they are very close, the D4 is more than ample.

The question really is - do you want AWD? If you might be towing your van across a wet grassy field then once or twice a year it might save the day. But if you will always be on tarmac at posh campsites, you might decide it's not needed. AWD also very useful when setting off uphill or on poor roads when towing.

On my commute I used to get 43 MPG from the D4 (with manual gearbox, I would expect 2-3 less with auto) I get circa 37 from the D5.

I don't like the R-Design cars, I find the suspension too jiggly, but that's just my personal preference plenty of people have them and love them. The stiffer suspension might actually be better for towing.

I would go for SE-LUX with the Bi-Xenon headlights (brilliant) and the TFT instruments.

Check carefully the specs - in some years AWD cars with automatic gearboxes have higher towing weight limits, but all versions will cope well with your 1.5T van.

Just one point - in the years you are interested (2013-2017) :

- All D4 AWD models have the 2.4 5-cylinder D5 engine and 6 speed auto which is detuned electronically.

- D4 FWD models for MY2013 & MY2014 have a 2.0 5-cylinder engine which is a smaller capacity D5 & 6 speed auto.

- D4 FWD models for MY2015-MY2017 have the 2.0 4-cylinder VEA engine which is used in the later models of XC60 and your V90 and 8-speed auto.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 31st, 2022 at 10:20.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 11:32   #3
wheelnut

Thanks for the very helpful reply.
Ideal spec for me will be SE Lux with Panoramic roof, reversing camera and DAB.
Even better if it has ACC and a cream interior, towbar and the HK stereo!

I have only once (when going onto a CL in Scotland, have I had difficulty with my fwd V90 and had to have a good run up to get onto the CL!
If I can find a D4 with the VEA engine and the LCD dash, whether FWD or 4WD and the above spec, I will be happy.

With my V90, I get over 50mpg regularly, but it drops to 27mpg when towing.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 12:20   #4
JimmyP

I had a MY2017 XC60 R-Design D4 AWD - so the 2.4 5-cylinder diesel twin turbo unit - and towed a 1500kg caravan (plus all the paraphernalia that goes with two adults and three kids) to the Vendee in France on three occasions and it really surprised me how good it was (coming from a Discovery 3, the bar was set pretty high).

The XC60 always felt really planted and solid on the road, never like it was fighting the weight of the caravan (although packing properly helps massively with this). It easily merged into traffic, kept up on the autoroutes and got away from the toll booths with no problem at all. Overall mpg on those trips was around 28mpg.

It would be unfair to compare it to the Disco 3 as that had air suspension so I can't say whether the R Design spec made it worse for towing as that's all I've driven in the Volvo range but we never found the ride uncomfortable. In fact, the R Design leather seats were incredibly comfortable on long trips - much more so than the Disco 3 and the ones in the Disco Sport which we test drove back in 2017.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 12:30   #5
Stevepvolvo

Also tow a 1500kg MTPLM Twin axle which I have had since 2007. XC60 wise, I have towed with a 2010 SE Lux D5 AWD Auto XC60 and now a 2015 D4 AWD Auto R-Design XC60
Observations
1) Engine Type, as Tannaton says, the D4 AWD is effectively a detuned D5.
2) Engine Performance – I do like the D5 /D4 AWD for towing as is a 2.4D so has that extra torque and less engine stress from the towing than a smaller engine would undergo. I find the “newer” D4 smoother and quieter than the 2010 D5 but it actually has a bit more power. I cant comment on latest D5
3) SE Lux vs R-Design – yes the R-Design is definitely “more jiggly” due to more “sporty” suspension but that does actually benefit towing (and more spirited driving). Solo I do sometimes wish it was less harsh but do like the better towing. I am towing a twin axle so cant comment for a single at that weight.
4) AWD - I tend to stick with AWD not only for the odd wet grass situation but also for starting off “quickly” on hills at junctions as it removes the spin that can occur on wet tarmac that a fwd can experience particularly with the weight of ‘van we are talking about. I just found the spin disconcerting when I had a previous ‘van with a fwd car.
5) Fuel economy, solo get about 39mpg average. Towing it does drop a lot but averages around 25 (but I do tend to keep up to national speed limits and avoid holding up traffic so do “work” the gearbox)
6) Geartronic Auto box – great for towing in either sport mode, normal motorway cruising mode or manual 😊
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevepvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 17:29   #6
moosehead74

Have to say I've been delighted with my 2017 D5 AWD when it comes to towing the caravan. Always previously towed with rear wheel drive Mercs but have seen plenty of fellow campers with FWD drive vehicles get stuck in wet fields especially if there's an incline to negotiate.

This summer we had to leave a site in torrential rain. Grass was long, very wet and a steepish incline to negotiate. No major problems but even with AWD and all season tyres there were times when it started to lose traction. With FWD or RWD I'm sure it would have been a case of asking the farmer for a tow.
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moosehead74 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 19:30   #7
Longweekend

I tow an 1800 Hobby with our 2015 D4 auto and its fine, we go across to Europe every year and cover plenty of miles without any problem...
Longweekend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Longweekend For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 09:56   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
If I can find a D4 with the VEA engine and the LCD dash, whether FWD or 4WD and the above spec, I will be happy.
On Mk1 XC60 - only the 2015MY and later cars with two wheel drive had the VEA engine.

All AWD cars have the 5 cylinder engine.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote