Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loss of Power

Views : 1820

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:54   #1
hywellis
hywellis

Default Loss of Power

Hello, I'm new to this, but have a slight problem. I have a 55 reg S.40 2.0D. Recently I have expierinced a loss of power in third gear. The problem is intermitent (occured 3 times) When I have travelling a short distance at slow speeds in third, waiting for traffic to clear etc, I have experienced what I can only describe as loss of power/misfire as I put my the power on to pull away. Has anyone else had the same problem. The wife puts it down to my bad driving!!
hywellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 15:03   #2
7050man
Master Member

Yes had same problem on my 55 plate V50 around last Christmas. Fault was intermittant and would only occur when pulling away sharply eg at roundabout. At approx 3k revs in third, car would momentarily die before picking up again (a bit scary at times). It became more frequent as time went on and would manifest itself at higher speeds when power required. By the way re your wifes remark about driving, mine said something similar when it kangarooed away from a junction one time.

Fault turned out to be a split fuel pipe that would draw air in causing starvation.

Hope yours is fixed soon. Good luck.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 14:10   #3
mJrO

I have a similar problem.

When travelling in the motorway at about 150-170km/h and then when reaching the toll both i have to slow down. When i try to move again the car has no power, it drags itself.

I shut off the car and restart it and everything is fine.

Weird.

3 time that this ocurred. (1 time in Frebruary, another in March and today )

Could it be the same problem?
mJrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 21:18   #4
gwenrencsok

Red face I'm running into something similar

I have a S40 Automatic-Turbo 2004. I've had a similar issue two in the past three days. I come to a stop and when I try move the car totally lost power. The first time it happened, my car restarted itself and off I go. This morning when it happened I lost power and was not able to immediately restart the engine. It would turn, but would not start. I also got a display message that said "Crash mode See Manual" Yeah, there wasn't anything listed in the manual for "crash mode"
I just had the vehicle in for an oil change and new brake pads. I called the dealership and rescheduled it for tomorrow, but when talking to the service rep(who I know has been there for 10yrs) his response to my error message was 'Never heard of that before' Not promising. I will try to update the post if I get any answers.
gwenrencsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:52   #5
lescar200

Hi same thing happened to me in France and in the Dartford tunnel. My 2005 S40 2.0D SE just lost power and then when you switched the engine off and back on it cleared. Car has been in twice and it seems it was the egr valve which they have now replaced under warranty. Hopefully this now solves the problem.
lescar200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:48   #6
gwenrencsok

I was told by my mechanic that the V6's dont have an EGR, so we knocked that off the list. He called tech from another shop and they believe it might be a sensor for the airbag controls. The Crash Mode message is what appears when it happened, so that sort of makes since. Not sure how they have it design. If the airbags deploy the car is no longer driveable, until that's reset maybe?
gwenrencsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 01:03   #7
mJrO

since when does the s40 has a v6 engine????
mJrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 14:08   #8
VeeFourTee

Had exactly the same problem. Dealer said it needed a new EGR valve and it's getting one next week. I mentioned that "the problem is talked about on numerous owners' forums ..." although I don't know whether it helped!
VeeFourTee is offline   Reply With Quote