Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with rear speaker install please.

Views : 856

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2015, 13:41   #1
hennabm

Default Help with rear speaker install please.

After getting a good set of OEM speakers for the back doors of my DL estate, today was fitting day��. I managed to cut out the preformed holes in the door cards and fit the wires through the door rubber into the cabin.
All was going well until I went behind the radio looking for somewhere to plug in my wires. As the front of the radio has balance and fader, I thought this would be an easy job.
Not so. I wasn't expecting what I found an I am now at a loss as to where to plug in my additional speakers.��
So is there any of you good people that can direct me on my next step.
The pictures show what I found.
Checking the existing speakers I see each is served by a yellow/grey and a grey wire but I can only see one of them in the block photo'd.
On the back of the radio there isn't a colour match at all.

TIA

[URL=http://s195.photobucket.com/user/hennabm/media/Volvo/image_zpski53arjz.jpeg.html][/URL

2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d

Last edited by hennabm; Dec 13th, 2015 at 13:44.
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 11:23   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Does your car have the small add on amplifier? If so I'd think that the speakers would attach to that. It's on a lead about a foot from the radio down to the side of the centre console, behind the dash.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 11:38   #3
hennabm

Hi Derek

Unfortunately no. Except for the main wire block coming off the back of the radio there is nothing else connected (apart from the aerial cable).
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:35   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabm View Post
Hi Derek

Unfortunately no. Except for the main wire block coming off the back of the radio there is nothing else connected (apart from the aerial cable).
There is no provision for rear speakers on this radio , When you have rear speakers an amplifier is used to feed all 4 speakers . You should find someone with a spare 4 channel amp from a 740 or 940 or later 240 and the DIN lead to connect it . ask them to cut off the wiring plug wires leaving some wire for you to connect the 4 speakers to . you will benefit from a richer sound with 4 separate amplifier channels :-)
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 12:53   #5
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I did this 'mod' on mine. Snaffled a later style R/Cassette player , amplifier and speakers for the rear.
I found that thee 'new' later R/Cassettes cassette didn't play, after I'd gone to the hassle of wiring in the speaker etc (well cumbrianmale did the wiring part if I'm honest).
But all was not lost I simply plugged the amp into the socket on the rear of the older style R/Cassette and hey-presto 4 speaker sound. The older style ones work with the amp and 4 speakers. The amp goes into that black, round 7 (I think) pin socket in your 4th pic on rear of the unit.
Oh, and yes the speaker wires do go into the amplifier......

Think this is the speaker wire connection block coming from the amp to connect the speaker.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by Paul240480; Dec 14th, 2015 at 12:58. Reason: added pic
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 13:06   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

you might want to find a later radio with a built in 4 speaker amp the volvo CR 906 from any volvo model in the 1990's is a really good radio with all the features you need , it will drive 4 speakers direct and also a 6 x CD Changer if you have one . It plays cassettes and does RDS and traffic news and you can plug a bigger amplifier in if you need one .