Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603384

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2015, 14:14   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Were I in Volvo's shoes on his matter I would be discounting your 'original' map as that clearly was provided by your local RICA person and they would say they have no knowledge of what it contained.

If you admit to having doctored the map, I.e. You replaced the post egr map with the 'original' and then put it back to the post egr map they will probably invalidate any engine warranty as you changed the software.

Might be wrong, but that is how is see it from your posts - and btw, Volvo read these forums
I have sent you a PM suggesting you amend this post as it is complete bollox and not helpful or constructive in any way

Here am I trying to help while here are you being a nob !

Volvo are in complete and exclusive control of my situation !

Last edited by 007; Jul 1st, 2015 at 14:18.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 14:16   #272
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I am now 2 posts away from being able to PM !
Over 30 posts already. You can now PM !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 15:45   #273
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
I have sent you a PM suggesting you amend this post as it is complete bollox and not helpful or constructive in any way

When I made this post I wasn't aware, nor was anyone else, that Volvo had reinstated the old map for you, in fact the post you made hinted at something completely different, therefore I maintain that what I posted was accurate based upon what you had stated until that point. I therefore see absolutely no reason to amend anything that I said.

I understand that you are frustrated with Volvo however I suggest that you let that remain with Volvo and retain the civility within this forum that is demonstrated by everyone else.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 20:05   #274
andymcp
Premier Member

I'm in at the dealer tomorrow, and the chap there is a very helpful fellow, so will ask what they are doing with this. Have to say that between scheduled and elective visits across our two cars I've been there often enough to have had most updates applied. I've not had any mention of a remap or had any degradation in responsiveness, in fact the car (yes, partly thanks to the weather) has been noticeably better over the past couple of months.

I used sport mode a lot today and was astonished at the extra oomph on tap over and above the norm. Did make me wonder if polestar is needed.... However what I would say is that I'm aware of enough people unhappy with their engine that there must be some sort of remap or setup that's being applied somewhere. And that puts me off - fix the problem Volvo, don't tinker around the edges. If the core engine needs to be softened that much to avoid reliability issues then there must lie ahead a long line of underwhelming power units until the engine itself gets sorted. Poor approach.

Anyway, I'll report back if there's anything interesting from the dealer.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 20:35   #275
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Confidentiality clauses

In the 21st century, markets here in western developed countries expect transparency, candour and solutions based upon stakeholders working together - that includes suppliers, customers and their intermediaries. The days of confidentiality clauses ('gagging clauses') are long gone for companies with a modern set of values.

Sadly this isn't the case with Volvo. IMHO, there is a misalignment between their stated values and their behaviour - as typified by what many of us are experiencing with our lacklustre VEA D4 units, 007 being one of the most frustrated members of the affected group. It seems that Volvo tries to 'pick off' one customer at a time and that some of their correspondence comes with confidentiality clauses - which leaves the recipient wondering whether they share what they know with others and risk losing what remedy they're trying to salvage with Volvo. A tough choice when you have £30k+ of investment to protect sitting on your drive.

Volvo are following a strategy that ultimately will cause 'death by a thousand cuts' instead of facing the issue of the EGR head on and explaining to folk that the latest ECM update is an interim fix until they find a long-term solution that restores the low-end torque.

I bought a 4pot diesel engine with phenomenal pick-up from very low revs. How wonderful was that since such engines are no joy if they have to be worked high in the rpm range (this ain't no 16v petrol unit). Even if the overall bhp power is still there it's a significant change if it only appears to the right hand side of the rpm range.

I want to be clear - my issue is not with my dealer, they have been excellent. I doubt that they are being reimbursed for all of the checks they have done on my car because of my moaning. This is bigger than the dealers - it originates from the culture, leadership and values from Volvo in Sweden.

Life's too short to let this sort of thing ruin it (or sour the 'virtual' relationships of us folk on this forum). I've made a note of how Volvo have handled this and they won't be picking up any more money from me in the future. In the meantime, I will write and tell people about my experience because that is the only way the 'little man' can get even - the power of the internet (as the Chinese and North Korean authorities are discovering!).

As an aside, and purely hypothetically, what would be the affect of reducing EGR and increasing the exhaust temperature? I don't know why I ask as it just popped into my head and I wondered if any of the technical folk on this forum would know? Purely hypothetical you understand.

Arianne
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 20:37   #276
tem
Premier Member

This is very basic, but on my route to Inverness there are several stretches of long, flat, straight road.
From experience, with cruise control set to 60 MPH, I know that I am in 8th gear, my ECO gauge is in the green zone and the revs are around 1750 rpm.

I should be getting my car back a week today, after work is carried out on the EGR valve, cooler and sensors + a software update (remap?).
Now, should the remap de-tune, as has been suggested, will I notice a change in my experienced driving conditions?

My basic, Rolling Road test.

tem.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 20:44   #277
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
This is very basic, but on my route to Inverness there are several stretches of long, flat, straight road.
From experience, with cruise control set to 60 MPH, I know that I am in 8th gear, my ECO gauge is in the green zone and the revs are around 1750 rpm.

I should be getting my car back a week today, after work is carried out on the EGR valve, cooler and sensors + a software update (remap?).
Now, should the remap de-tune, as has been suggested, will I notice a change in my experienced driving conditions?

My basic, Rolling Road test.

tem.
You'll know. I knew and based on your post and what I know about you since we both had our first XC90s all those years ago (including on the 'other' owners' forum "no cigar") .......you're someone who will be able to detect the difference. But remember that the most profound impact is upon low-rpm torque. 60mph on cruise might not be the 'zone' for spotting the difference?

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Jul 1st, 2015 at 21:20.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 21:56   #278
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:

@007, please don't misunderstand the intent of my post - I ask this sincerely and in good faith. Have you been able to persuade Volvo to roll back the ECM update to the earlier 'nitrous oxide' version and still get them to agree to periodically 'clean up' the clogged EGR valve / cooler? If you can't say because of restrictions between you and VCUK then I quite understand (see my earlier post).

Arianne
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 23:11   #279
Arianne
Premier Member

thanks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 00:03   #280
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
The real question to ask is this. Should us 'new' D4 VEA drivers get a RR test done in the next few months to establish a 'baseline' or should we wait until we get a Turtle ? We may never see one. Although getting the test done now would be 'belt and braces', I would expect it to show results very close to the declared bhp/torque of the standard engine. What does this prove ? Having data to show this could be argued as a waste of £60 (or whatever). If a turtle appears and the power goes awry, then a RR test would almost certainly show a deficit compared to the declared bhp/torque. The issue then is, what constitutes a margin of deficit for a formal complaint (and potential for legal remedy) ? I don't know. Any thoughts out there ?
Can I just put in a reminder here and say Arianne's turtle did not turn out to be caused by the EGR issue but by a faulty exhaust plenum temperature sensor. If I've understood his posts correctly that is. So waiting for a turtle to appear before getting a RR would not be advisable if it's to run an EGR mod comparison.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post: