Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Mileage is it likely to be a problem

Views : 9000

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 13:21   #1
Libbie

Exclamation High Mileage is it likely to be a problem

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie to this place and I hope to be a Volvo Ownder really soon.

However I am struggling to find one in my price.

There are two I'm looking at, but only one I have real major concerns over.

They are both Volvo Selekt Cars

The one I'm wary of is a V50 (2011) 1.6 SE Lux Diesel (all the toys, cruise control, bluetooth and leather) however it has 72000 miles on. I'm guessing its been a reps car by that but I don't know it's history and nor does the garage yet as they took it in on saturday as a PX and haven't checked it all over yet, they just mentioned it would be available soon.

What I'd like to know is what the price should be for such a car, Parkers we think makes it somewhere around the £9,000 to 10,000 mark (but to me thats a lot of money for a high mileage car)

I;d also like to know if there are any likely problems I will hit with a V50 of this age.(Other than the timing belt)

My last car was a Mazda 3 which i ended up spending a fortune on in repairs so I can't do that twice.

If you can help I;d really appreciate it.
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 14:19   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

First I would suggest you look at the HOW MANY MILES HAS YOUR DIESEL ENGINE DONE?? thread. You will then see that 72,000 miles is barely run in for a Volvo.

As long as it has a Full Service History (Volvo Main Dealer is beter) then it should be good for a while. The only other thing to mention about the 1.6 Diesel engine is that it is a Ford/PSA unit. It will need a DPF filter change around 100,000 miles and it is wise to keep an eye on the EGR and associated pipes for getting full of gunk.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 14:25   #3
KrissV50
Fuel type: Diesel/Coffee

I bought my 08' V50 2.0D at 70,000 and it still feels like a new car.
Get some basic checks done if all seems ok then I would go for it.

2016 D4 V70
2008 2.0D V50 sold @ 200,000miles
KrissV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 15:37   #4
Thrustyjust

I thought the 1.6 PSA engine was reknown on turbo failures and sludging in the sump etc ? Although many thousands of them around, i would think about issues they have. have a look on Honest John about the model failings and personal response to issues.
We had a 2l PSA V50 and was a great car, although the DPF changes at 72k mile service, i believe , would have got expensive, along with an eloys refill.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 18:00   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

It is not far from cambelt change at around 85k they lowered the mileage change period from over 100k after some failures.

Regarding turbos it is true but many fail down to wrong specification oil which is akin to many other eco type engines with tight tolerances. If it does fail make sure all the turbo pipework is changed and sump removed to ensure it is all clean otherwise the problem will happen again.

A 2011 car will be a d2 8v head not a "1.6D" 16v head, the benefit being that d2 engines have dry based dpf filters not like the 1.6d which is wet eolys based. This means no fluid top ups of eolys and it does not require changing at 75k.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 19:30   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Yes, the engine should last for quite a while, but at these miles repairs will soon show up. It is not a new vehicle. Also, some recent models might have electrical issues, still good cars but have a look on recent models section of the forum.

A 70k miles Mazda will start having repairs perhaps more than a Volvo, BUT Volvo repairs done at a Volvo dealer will cost 2X the price. So with Volvo it's a must to have an independent garage in the area, if on a budget. On the other hand, sitting in a Mazda is a thing, and sitting in a Volvo is another

All in all, diesel owners are quite satisfied of their cars, and tend to keep them for quite a while, which could be a good indicator of satisfaction for these vehicles
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 19:46   #7
Backhill1
Master Member

As already stated full Volvo service history essential on this engine as lack of sludge removal from sump will result in turbo failure. If properly flushed and drained with the correct oil used this is a good engine.
I had a d5 v50 and took her to 150k and it was as tight as a drum, the only issue I am awair of was the rear Bushes on the axle that were about £80 and very easy to do.

For running costs look in the Volvo web site and they give you a quote. At 18k intervals for most people its an annual service and mot circa £300 and that includes Volvo assistance etc.

Dealer hourly rates are expensive but they seem generous with the hours billed i have found. So probably balances out.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2014, 21:08   #8
Libbie

Exclamation

Hi guys.

Certainly food for thought. What price do you reckon I'd be looking to get.

Also good idea if I can get cam belt and filter as part of deal?
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, buying, high mileage, v50, v50 1.6 se lux