Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight query, please help!

Views : 734

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2013, 11:04   #1
Jessicanvlad

Default Headlight query, please help!

Hi,
I have an s40 late 2009 model. Last year I had to change the left low beam headlight as it had blown and I couldn't stand that annoying light and message for very long.
I changed it myself and all was fine. The same one blew yesterday and I got a new bulb and duly replaced it with slightly less swearing than last time because it's easier when you know what you're supposed to be doing.
All went well then as soon as it switched on the engine the new bulb lit up but the otherr bulb on the right low beam blew.
Was this just a weird coincidence? Should I just go and replace the right one now or is there likely to be a problem with the wiring or something?
Thank you!
X
Jessicanvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 11:23   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Sounds about right!

You will often find that when one bulb goes the other is pretty close behind it.

If you were to buy a Volvo long life bulb you will find you will get far longer out of the bulb itself. If you are just buying a standard cheap replacement of generic Halfords bulb then these won't last very long - approx. 12mths.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 18:13   #3
Jessicanvlad

Thank you very much for your quick reply! Much appreciated.
Happy new year!
X
Jessicanvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 18:45   #4
stevie a

Remember Never ever touch the glass

this will cause condensation and reduce the life of the bulb.
stevie a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 09:56   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

I always wipe the glass with an alcohol wipe to remove any trace of grease or contamination, even if you haven't touched it, I think its still worth doing to get the best life out of the bulb.

Probably not the case here but worth checking, especially as the car gets older and the bulbs have been changed a few times; make sure that the electrical contacts inside the plug are tight. If necessary, nip them up with pliers. Loose contacts will get hot due to the extra resistance, this then causes expansion and can also oxidise the surface of the contact which then gives even more resistance. The heat will cause new bulbs to fail very quickly and can melt the plastic parts of the plug. Eventually if left, the bulb and plug will need replacing.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 12:17   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
On my V50 whenever a bulb has blown the other one has blown within 2 days.
Has happened 3 times.(over 5 years)
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote