Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

zf auto gear lever

Views : 555

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 20:59   #1
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default zf auto gear lever

hello all
can any one tell me if its possible to slide the nylon cover off the zf auto gear lever 940 1995 model . it has a plastic gromit at the back which i removed but there seems nothing in there . the job i am trying to do is to fit a new lens slide which i did have working but is now not moveing with the gear lever i have tried and tried to relocate this long black plastic strip but can not do it . if i could remove gear lever cover then lift of the auto gear postion plate all woud be exposed . i hope you all can understand this .
help please
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 19:33   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Some pointers

I have the exact same problem which I shall look at when the weather gets warmer. It is never a good idea to work on plastic when it's too cold. I've subscribed to the threads below to have some hints and pictures to hand when I do decide to tackle it. With the second one look about half way down the first page for the dismantled auto selector.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=168412

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=52123

I think the approach I've managed to assemble from these so far is to remove the plastic trim with the heated seat switches and then push the plastic part with the numbers and letters forward and lift from the back edge. I know this part on one of my cars is broken and lifts away quite easily when the first piece of trim is removed but holds in place fine when it is fixed in place; so I am hoping there is some latitude if something does snap.

If anyone can post a genuine idiot guide to this it looks as though several people will be grateful.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 20:22   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi forrest
thanks again . have a look at the plastic gromit at the back of lever . it must be there for a reason . it seems obvious that the sleeve shoud come of so the indicator plate can be easy lifted off . its just frustrating as i can not remove it
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 18:06   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Plastic gromit?

I've had a very quick look and cannot see the plastic gromit you refer to. It may be because mine is petrol with AW transmission. I don't know how different the levers are except yours will presumably have PRND321 whereas mine has PRND21 and an overdrive button on the front.

I once had a go at removing the plastic by prying the locking button out on the back of the lever. This didn't help and was very tricky to reassemble. I think all you can do is lift the part with the numbers and letters as much as clearance allows as in the picture in the second link.

There has been a thread on here recently about the manual gear lever. The plastic knob on that would appear to be permanently attached and the best approach for replacement is disconnecting at the gearbox. It would not surprise me if the auto selector were similarly constructed.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 18:36   #5
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi forrest
i think the AW is a different set up from the ZF as they are diffrent manufactures but thanks for the link one photo shows the indicator plate slightly up the gear lever i have tried that it does help but its very tight and seems not the right way to access the indicator slide . so may have to keep looking