Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Additive

Views : 2355

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 00:33   #21
bazw

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedo View Post
I have been reading all your posts with interest as my MPG has just dropped through the floor. I have a 1.8 1999/2000 S40 which I was given with loads of problems. The best I ever got was 32mpg now its running about 22mpg. I cant really afford to change parts unless I know they are definitely faulty. I've had both Lamda sensors out and cleaned them. The spark plugs (changed about 6K miles ago) look the right colour (light brown), air filter is new. Unfortunately when I was last working on cars, they had a nice adjustable thing called a carburettor you could play around with, however now you need a computer to tell you whats wrong. I don't have any warning lights showing and I don't have a petrol leak. I recently changed the fuel filter because the car kept cutting out, which it still occasionally does. Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.
Where would I get the acetone from if I decided to try it?
ask you wife or girlfriend if you have one for nail varnish remover or buy some in a store/chemist ( i use asda's when i run out of pure acetone ) make sure its for oily nail varnish , the non oily has no acetone in it . I normally get mine from a hair dresser and nail salon supply house near me £13 a gallon last time but that was 2 years ago

to those who worry about putting a strong solvent in the fuel system think about it 2 fl oz or 50cc in to 45 L , its nothing . it works because the surface tension of the fuel is broken down so it sprays finer and a finer spray burns more efficiently it cleans nothing and affects nothing . I could put in loads of my mileage records but they will be dismissed as rubbish so i will not bother all i can say is if there is one ounce of curiosity in it for you its £1 for 4 tanks worth of acetone from asda , what can it cost you to try it , a pound only and for normal driving it works out at being back to the equivalent of £1 a litre for petrol
bazw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bazw For This Useful Post: