Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It's that time of year again

Views : 3026

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:54   #31
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I generally stay with the same insurer. Each year sure as eggs are eggs our insurances increase come renewal. I use the compare sites to get a rough idea then ring whoever I am insured with and make them an offer.

Companies are all seeking "new customers" and loyalty counts for nothing nowadays so I remind them that it is in their interest to retain our custom.

I have had some absolutely ridiculous conversations with insurance companies (as some can imagine..lol) with the best being a house renewal quote where after 15 minutes of going through all the details they came up with a "different" policy, a "new" product that was nearly half the price of the original renewal and offered "virtually" the same cover. I pointed out that the cover was identical only to be told it was "very very similar". I said no , its identical. Operator said no "very very similar". So I re-iterated that the cover was identical, even the name was the same and she said “yes but its a much cheaper policy isn’t it"……!!!!!!!!!!!!!..eh..??..?????

For those that have courtesy car cover an interesting thing about courtesy cars on insurance can be seen here

Regards
In my experience they don't even seem that bothered about new business either. Several companies I asked in September to match a quote they all came back and said they couldn't/wouldn't". My best deal came from Aviva, added my wife who cannot drive and the premium was reduced by £100.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 13:03   #32
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
Yes, protected no claims is a bit of a scam. Your percentage discount is protected but your base premium isn't.

So say you have 60% no claims, base premium is £1000, so you pay £400 for insurance. You have a prang, you stay at 60% no claims but your base premium goes up to £1800 because you are now deemed a higher risk. You still have 60% no claims discount with this company but your insurance has gone up to £720.

If you decide to go to another insurer they will not accept the protected no-claims discount, raise your base premium becuase you are a higher risk and you will have a much smaller no claims discount because of your prang. Result....? You are now locked into the original insurer until you are back at a real 5 or 6 years no claims.
Insurance companies should at least wear a mask when they rip us off.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 17:47   #33
DesertDog

1st year's insurance on my T6 was equivalent of £1,200 (over here in the sand pit, it's the car, rather than the driver which is insured). The insured value is typically 3-5% of the value of the car.

Just recently, a stone just about destroyed my windscreen....equivalent of £1,286 to replace it.

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 17:59   #34
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
1st year's insurance on my T6 was equivalent of £1,200 (over here in the sand pit, it's the car, rather than the driver which is insured). The insured value is typically 3-5% of the value of the car.

Just recently, a stone just about destroyed my windscreen....equivalent of £1,286 to replace it.
Makes my £75 windscreen excess look very reasonable :-)
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 18:33   #35
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
If you decide to go to another insurer they will not accept the protected no-claims discount, raise your base premium becuase you are a higher risk and you will have a much smaller no claims discount because of your prang. Result....? You are now locked into the original insurer until you are back at a real 5 or 6 years no claims.

in my experience they all accept the protected NCD. despite having had a couple of claims, i've never had a problem moving my NCD to another insurer every year. like you say though, they bump up the base. whichever way you look at it though, protected is still better than non-protected.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote