Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Cutting Out

Views : 3258

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2015, 14:01   #1
PetrolBlood

Default Engine Cutting Out

Hi, I don't use forums often so don't even know if I'm doing this right.
Anyway, lately I've been having problems with my V plate S40 1.6 petrol, roughly 90,000 miles on the clock.

Occasionally the engine splutters then cuts out completely. I've had the car since December and changed the fuel filter after a couple of months only to discover that the filter that was on it was not only incorrect for the car, but also that filter had not been produced for at least a decade and was black inside. I then got it changed it again about a month ago (after the engine cut out 3 times in one night) thinking it might be the problem. However it has happened again 4 times in the past 2 days.

It seems to run fine for a few days, even a couple of weeks between sets of 3-4 relatively quick succession breakdowns.

The other night it cut, got it started and drove 30-odd miles with a off period while a a friends house before it cut again.

When it breaks down it splutters with severe loss of power then cuts, if I'm quick enough when it splutters I can apply the clutch and rev the engine a little and it stops it cutting completely. The only lights that come on are the same as when it's stalled.

Once it does cut it takes a few attempts to start again, last night it took a good 15 mins of trying to start without over straining my starter. After it did start I moved out of the lay-by and it started spluttering, so I revved it and kept it going, managed to drive home without any more splutters/cuts.

Have taken it to the local garage but they said that without it being actually broken down when they see it, obviously, it's very difficult to tell what it is.

It's really starting to get on my nerves, I adore my S40, and was planing on keeping it until it was basically run into the ground. But, it has seriously made me start thinking of selling it and buying something else.

Need to try and sort it before it affects things like my work.
Any help or suggestions as to what it could be will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
PetrolBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 18:55   #2
gatos
Premier Member

have you tried reading the diagnostic OBD2 codes? they may point to the problem. Other things I can think of, is the fuel pump playing up, or camshaft position sensor. When were the spark plugs last changed? Also, when you start your car, does it crank for a long time before it fires up, or does it start with 1-2 seconds (possible FPR failure)? Finally, next time this happens, try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:03   #3
rigo3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
have you tried reading the diagnostic OBD2 codes? they may point to the problem. Other things I can think of, is the fuel pump playing up, or camshaft position sensor. When were the spark plugs last changed? Also, when you start your car, does it crank for a long time before it fires up, or does it start with 1-2 seconds (possible FPR failure)? Finally, next time this happens, try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference.
If it's none of those things, is there anything else we can check? I have an auto S40 T and about a week ago, my engine switched off in a traffic light. About two months ago I cleaned the idle throttle valve, so I don't think this is an issue. Maybe the whole intake should be cleaned too?
rigo3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:32   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigo3t View Post
If it's none of those things, is there anything else we can check? I have an auto S40 T and about a week ago, my engine switched off in a traffic light. About two months ago I cleaned the idle throttle valve, so I don't think this is an issue. Maybe the whole intake should be cleaned too?
Once you have serviced the engine correctly (Volvo plugs), then although the Haynes book of lies might help in terms of simple things like an air leak, you can go around in circles with any modern ECU engine guessing at what might be wrong, BUT once you have a stored fault code (If it cut out, it will have stored a code), there is a much better chance of finding the fault.
Blocked fuel filters or air leaks into the fuel line (Often an incorrectly installed filter) are an exception in fault code terms, as they might not cause a code.

If you are a long term owner who wants to do his own maintenance, a good reader and Volvo software copy are a good investment.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 09:30   #5
rigo3t

Hi Skyship, so my ELM327 finally arrived.

This is the diagnostic that it spat out...

P0102 "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

and ErrorMIL: On (1) Spark Ignition

So I'm guessing I will start cleaning the MAF out and hopefully it won't be necessary to replace it (I know it's better to replace it). Also I will check out the coils, cables and spark plugs to see if it helps.

I have some interesting readings from the diagnostic, some ideas would help out a lot too. Here are some screenshots...

These are the screenshots

http://imgur.com/a/FuHAU
rigo3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 00:44   #6
PetrolBlood

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help, sorry I took so long to thank you. I don't get on here often at the moment!

Since Posting this I've been keeping my petrol tank above about 1/4, and that seems to stop it happening so often, and seems to start/return to normal quicker.
It went for quite a while without stopping, I'd say at least a month... It was long enough, in fact, that I'd stopped thinking about it.

Once I have figured out the actual problem is I'll post an update on here.

Cheers!
PetrolBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetrolBlood For This Useful Post:

Tags
1.6 petrol, breakdown, engine, fuel problem