Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A couple of problems with a 760 GLE Estate

Views : 2779

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 13:43   #21
phil_uk

Default RE: A couple of problems with a 760 GLE Estat

Well, I've heard such phrases as "wet liners", that means a block with moveable cylinder bores that need a special tool to hold them in place, right? I've only ever worked on single & twin cylinder motorcycle engines, plus an 850 mini, so a V6 seems a bit complex. One mechanic has told me not to bother with a V6 as a replacement for a B230k. Is the V6 really that bad?
Old Sep 19th, 2002, 14:09   #22
Gerry the Gerbil

Default RE: PSSSSSSST! I'll let you in on a little Se

Hi Dave,

I have and it's really handy. I now know that I was squirting the Wynns in the wrong hole x(

Still what's a few quid :-(

Gerry.
Old Sep 19th, 2002, 19:26   #23
Dave M

I wouldn't consider all the hassles of fitting the V6 into a B230 engine bay, it's not worth it when you can purchase one of these babies for around £500 or less pending on condition, I'd be inclined to use the 740 as spares and buy a 760 (If that's what you want)failing that I'd just live with the 230 engine and look for a rebuild or spare one.

Consider all this before trying it...

Replace the engine mounts, exhausts, ECU's, wiring looms, cooling systems, possible brake upgrades, then there's the time the car is off the road, the time required to fit it, the tuning of the engine provided it was successful:-)

But hey! It's up to you what you wanna do, got money to burn ... go ahead:-)

Don't think I'm being negative, just making sure you've considered all the bases that's all:-)

On a more positive note, it's fun to have, bit noisy when being booted hard, but it's got a nice burble when running. I manage around 22mpg around town and that's been a fight to achieve:-)

Regards
Dave M
Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:44   #24
phil_uk

Thanks Dave

I've got zorst cans & downpipes, and an ECU, but no wiring. I believe the brakes are the same but am willing to be corrected on that point. I also have a diff in case the gearing needs changing. I do not like autoboxes, but have no idea if the 5 speed manual off the B230k will do the trick. I suppose its a trade-off of costs: a 4 cylinder engine needing a lot of work vs a 6 cylinder engine that maybe needs less parts replacing but should ideally be taken apart to be sure of its condition.

One thought I had some time ago was that setting up the V6 to run on nasty low grade unleaded could be desirable (give it hardened valve seats and low compression pistons). The petrol companies took proper 4* off us, and now LRP is being withdrawn, and to get the right octane rating for the B230k with its 10:1 pistons I'd have to buy the overpriced "super unleaded". The extra capacity of the V6 would compensate me for the power loss caused by going to unleaded petrol. Does any of that make any sense - if we assume the rest of the car is worth having the effort put into its engine? At least I'd know what I was getting whereas buying another car is alway a gamble...

Regards
Old Oct 5th, 2002, 11:35   #25
Gerry the Gerbil

Hi Dave,

Where is the PCV valve on the engine?

I have just bought the Haynes Manual for the 740/760 does it show it?

I think that's the problem with mine as it's only an intermitent problem.

Gerry

Thought I'd add a pic to scare the kids with :-)