View Single Post
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 00:19   #9
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoline View Post
So now it's too late to clean pipes etc ? I already fitted everything but didn't wash any pipes
The engine runs fine now besides the white smoke from under the bonnet and exhaust (that slowly goes away)- Should I take everything apart and clean or do you just mean I need a good engine bay wash with some degreaser ?

Thanks for the turbo tip above,, useful.
IF it does build up then it will be mostly after long journey , fast driving or long driving uphill/towing a caravan. It will build up mostly where turbo or other hot parts meet oil. It means, if you push your turbo car hard, then leave it idle for a while or oil will/could burn to the metallic parts.. to keep this simplified:
Imagine, you(or your wife) are heating milk(or making a sauce) in stainless steel pan, when that pan's surface gets hot, contents inside will start to bubble, if you don't stir it, it will start to burn and then it sticks to the bottom(like scorched milk), and you can smell that. Same things happens INSIDE those pipes as well. That's why dealers recommend changing those pipes when you install a new turbo In your case Volvoline I would remove those pipes and clean them(if you fitted a new turbo)

I am leaving my car idling for a few moments before I switch off the engine, just to give the turbo time to cool down.

Last edited by Biotoxic; Jun 18th, 2011 at 00:24.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote