Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 - MY21 or MY22?

Views : 2200

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2021, 22:32   #1
Saftlad

Default XC60 T8 - MY21 or MY22?

We're close to pulling the trigger but I'm in a bit of a quandary.

Very tempted by a MY21 R-Design Pro with options that I want (and a couple I didn't consider), it has been pre-registered so I wouldn't be the first owner but that doesn't bother me. It would mean a bit of a journey to view the car and then again for pickup. I'd also be looking to try to get a good deal on a set of 20" wheels to replace the 22" that are on it now. Obviously, it would be available immediately.

Alternatively, my local dealer has done me a great quote on an Inscription Pro with the specific extras I'm after but would mean placing a factory order that wouldn't arrive until September or October.

The costs between the 2 are almost identical, so financially it's the toss of a coin.

What is the general consensus over the differences in the 2 model years? Am I better taking the MY21 with the fuel heater over the electric heater for example, or are the changes for 22 worth waiting for?
Saftlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 22:38   #2
WhatNext?

MY21 will have the discontinued sensus

MY21 will have Android Automotive

For me, purely for that reason I will choose MY22

NB It will also be the facelifted version (very minor changes though)

NB 2 Advantage of Android Automotive is way superior mapping (Google Maps) and voice recognition

Last edited by WhatNext?; May 11th, 2021 at 22:41.
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:51   #3
Saftlad

Hmmm yes I can see Android Automotive being great in a few years time, once they iron it out, and certainly the maps would be as current as possible so should be great. Not sure that this would be a deal-breaker for either case for me though. Is Sensus Connect that bad?

The options I want are Driver Assist (for ACC) and Lounge (for HK - I can't justify B&W) and 360 camera. Should I be considering anything else as a "should have"?
Old May 12th, 2021, 15:19   #4
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saftlad View Post
Hmmm yes I can see Android Automotive being great in a few years time, once they iron it out, and certainly the maps would be as current as possible so should be great.
But can't the Android Auto be updated whereas the current Sensus is going no further?
Old May 12th, 2021, 16:29   #5
Saftlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
But can't the Android Auto be updated whereas the current Sensus is going no further?
There's a difference between Android Auto and Android Automotive (great naming structure there Google ), yes Automotive will get regular updates throughout it's life.

Let's face it, most car manufacturer's don't update the systems all that much, yet your phone probably has 3 or 4 updates a year. I'd see AAOS being much more like a phone for update regularity.

Anyway, back on topic. The general consensus seems to be to order a MY22 and wait 3-4 months for delivery by the looks of it.

Ta
Old May 12th, 2021, 22:44   #6
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but last I heard Android Automotive didn't support Apple CarPlay, although (unsurprisingly) it does support Android Auto.

I use CarPlay a lot so this would likely be a deal breaker for me if I were in the market for a new car. Appreciate the point about it getting regular updates but the Polestar 2 has been out for around a year now, so it's clearly not top of the development backlog. Mind you, a cynical person might suggest that's intentional as they want to use this as a tool to encourage migration from iOS to Android..

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 23:07   #7
Saftlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
Don't know if you're an iPhone user, but last I heard Android Automotive didn't support Apple CarPlay, although (unsurprisingly) it does support Android Auto.

I use CarPlay a lot so this would likely be a deal breaker for me if I were in the market for a new car. Appreciate the point about it getting regular updates but the Polestar 2 has been out for around a year now, so it's clearly not top of the development backlog. Mind you, a cynical person might suggest that's intentional as they want to use this as a tool to encourage migration from iOS to Android..
I'm an Android user, so not an issue, however given the number of car manufacturers jumping onto AAOS, I can't believe that they would not incorporate some form of CarPlay or connectivity, it would alienate too many users.

Though having said that, I'm not sure that AAOS is designed as a means of connecting to a phone, but rather a complete system that replaces the need for the phone other than to take/make calls which could be handled over BLE. AAOS is there to control and manage the whole infotainment system so Google would want you to use their systems for as much as possible to increase integration and pull you further into their ecosystem.
Old May 13th, 2021, 09:02   #8
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

I have checked the MY2022 Edition 2 and the XC60 comes with Wireless Smartphone Integration which includes Apple Car Play and Android Auto.
This is now included in the list price....at last!!
The V90 also has this as standard, but not the XC90 or XC40 as these are still running on the Sensus system.

Last edited by SuffolkBoy; May 13th, 2021 at 09:05.
SuffolkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 14:06   #9
soupytwister
Master Member

Take a look at the other thread on the My22 cancelled order. If you've ordered BLIS or 360, you may want to ask when the MY22 will be delivered in light of the chip shortages....
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 15:38   #10
Saftlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Take a look at the other thread on the My22 cancelled order. If you've ordered BLIS or 360, you may want to ask when the MY22 will be delivered in light of the chip shortages....
Not good news. You must be gutted