Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593922

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2019, 18:00   #1981
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
Thanks Iain, on Autotrader some are £30 some are about £120. It could be duff information!

Any particular way of checking what EGR fixes SHOULD have been done, and whether they HAVE been done?
Geartronic will be £120. Manual will be £30.

If you search through this thread, one of my posts and others will show photos of the pipework modification for the EGR fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 20:14   #1982
iain cooper

unless the manual is £30 and the auto is £120, I'm sure mine is £120.

the EGR fix is heavily detailed on the forum and I'm sure results in a new modified cooler and water hoses rerouted as pictures show.

Iain
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 18:15   #1983
ian.stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.stone View Post
I have a 65 plate V60 AT1517 30K miles, just out of warranty.
My problem began with Check engine light plus “Reduced Engine Performance”. Engine performance was normal.
AS it was under warranty I took it to a dealer who said the Manifold temperature sensor was blocked. Returned car as fixed. NB cleaning this is not on the service schedule. 4 weeks later it happened again, I took the sensor out, it was covered in carbon. Where does that come from, the exhaust, the only route I know is via the EGR valve which must be opening when the engine is cold.
Dealer had another go change some parts but not the EGR valve and changed the software. 6 months later (out of warranty now) Check engine light comes on. Plugged in diagnostics tester and get P04D900 – Closed loop EGR control at limit – flow too low. What I don’t know is this a new problem or the same as before masked by different software.
Can anyone with a diagnostics tester confirm they have the same error code.
BTW doing a live engine test revealed the underlying error
ERG Monitor Bank 1
Component ID $40
Test value 97
Minimum limit 100
Maximum limit 300
Status Fail

Evening Friday 26 Jan 2019 did a “Contact us” on Volvo UK’s web site saying had owned Volvo's for 48 years and this one was the only one that had played up. Reply the following day saying it was a known issue and they would instruct a dealer to fix free of charge. Job done following Wednesday.
New EGR Cooler and pipework plus software.

I understand Volvo are doing this on cars up to 4 years old.
ian.stone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian.stone For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 18:02   #1984
efraaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
Hi
My V60 D4 125Mkilometers need to top up oil 1 liter every 1200kilometers.
Hello,My Car Volvo S80 D4 181 HP - 205000 km burning oil 1l -200km (castrol 0w20) under the hood there are no smudges where the oil goes I don’t understand
Egr off - solved problem with egr but the oil burn anyway....
efraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to efraaa For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 11:52   #1985
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by efraaa View Post
Hello,My Car Volvo S80 D4 181 HP - 205000 km burning oil 1l -200km (castrol 0w20) under the hood there are no smudges where the oil goes I don’t understand
Egr off - solved problem with egr but the oil burn anyway....

1liter / 200 kms ... outch !
What Volvo does for you ? For me nothing.
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 15:42   #1986
ChrisFromFrance

Hi,

Experts made some measurements:
Cylinder 1 leak is about 60%
Cylinders 2-3-4 leaks between 17% and 25%.
Twin Turbos are OK.

The leak can provide :
cylinder segmentations
piston head / breech intake or exhaust valves

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 18:18   #1987
smudgers

Hi
so my xc60 has had the orange check light come up and its also using lots of oil, half a litre every couple of hundred miles
Luckily I stumbled across this page which makes me think I have bought a lemon (lemon being the 2.0 euro 6 engine and its egr related problems.
I have it booked into the local Volvo dealers (orpington, Kent). They seemed very nice on the phone so once its been in and fixed I will report back on how they were regarding this egr matter.
smudgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 19:55   #1988
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

From my experience as an XC60 VEA owner and forum reader, the Volvo EGR is well documented and the fix is pretty much 100% effective if it is the full replacement of the EGR and pipework, rather than just the software update offered initially. Sadly those who have bought cars without the benefit of the full 'fix' will now be suffering the consequences.
This is a common issue with many new engines and free post production fixes are part of the development process. In my view it is beholden on the manufacturer to modify all vehicles of that type irrespective of whether they are the original owner or not if they have slipped through the net.
They should be treated as 'recalls' for a known problem and available to all owners of such vehicles.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 23:49   #1989
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgers View Post
Hi
so my xc60 has had the orange check light come up and its also using lots of oil, half a litre every couple of hundred miles
Luckily I stumbled across this page which makes me think I have bought a lemon (lemon being the 2.0 euro 6 engine and its egr related problems.
I have it booked into the local Volvo dealers (orpington, Kent). They seemed very nice on the phone so once its been in and fixed I will report back on how they were regarding this egr matter.
I fear that the VEA EGR and potential engine cylinder issues are starting to be mixed up and confused on this thread. I'm sure someone will me if I am wrong, but I don't think the EGR problem resulted in excessive oil consumption. There have been a few posts though relating to engine cylinder issues and someone mentioned having their engine replaced at cost of £4.5k with 90% goodwill gesture from Volvo.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 00:59   #1990
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
I fear that the VEA EGR and potential engine cylinder issues are starting to be mixed up and confused on this thread. I'm sure someone will me if I am wrong, but I don't think the EGR problem resulted in excessive oil consumption. There have been a few posts though relating to engine cylinder issues and someone mentioned having their engine replaced at cost of £4.5k with 90% goodwill gesture from Volvo.
That was me.

The EGR clogged despite the final fix, they put this down to failure of the piston rings, although I didn't notice any oil consumption.

The engine was actually £8.5k and I've also just had the clutch replaced at £1300, both with 90% goodwill despite the car being 4 to 41/2 years old.

Alhough it's still cost me best part of a grand and you could argue they shouldn't have failed in the first place...