Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 power steering query

Views : 685

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 13:27   #1
Paddy Wagon

Default 940 power steering query

Hi folks, finally got my wagon, a '95 940 SE estate 2.4 TDIC auto. 108k, 1 owner, full service history and absolutely like new. The steering, while marginally lighter than my 740, is still somewhat heavy (like all 700/900 models I've driven). Is there any adjustments I can do to the pump and/or rack to make the steering lighter, I'd like to get it to the same level of lightness as US/Japanese power steering, thanks.
Paddy Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 14:09   #2
gpl1968
VOC Member

You could try flushing the system with fresh p/s fluid.
Depending on how old the existing fluid is, you might improve things a bit.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 16:35   #3
Galaxie390

Hi there Paddy Wagon,

Great see another D24 auto in Ireland!!

I think there was a post a while back about stretching the internal pressure relief spring about 5mm.

Have a search.

Cheers,

Rich
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 17:42   #4
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Try lubricating the two universal joints on the steering column (next to the exhaust manifold).
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 17:45   #5
Paddy Wagon

Thanks guys, Hi gpl, its not a fluid problem or mechanical problem, the steering is right for a Volvo, there like Fords, there just not as light as say a Toyota or a Nissan. whilst looking for this particular model I probably test drove 30 odd 940's and the steering is the same on all of them, their just a bit on the heavy side and I would like to make it lighter.

Hi Rich, thats the sort of thing I'm looking for, a method of increasing the amount of power assistance to the steering. I know it can be done, its just a matter of finding out what needs doing, cheers,
Aidan.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 18:36   #6
Dr. Rog
Master Member

Wink

kind of heavy!

You should try German cars. Or any of the dozen front-wheel drive hire cars I have had in the last seven years or so.

You have been spoilt with those nice Japanese cars.

Previously owned 1996 940 SE auto and GLE manual, both B230FK estates.
Dr. Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 19:26   #7
Paddy Wagon

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rog View Post
kind of heavy!

You should try German cars. Or any of the dozen front-wheel drive hire cars I have had in the last seven years or so.

You have been spoilt with those nice Japanese cars.
Yeah, I've driven a few over the years and know what you mean, the trouble is I've been spoilt by driving Yanks for decades before I moved over here. You kinda miss being able to throw a two and a half ton Battlecruiser around with just one finger. In fairness though, thats the only thing I can fault a Volvo on, (and its not even a fault, just personal preference) that and getting used to the throttle responce of a turbo diesel, this is the first diesel car I've owned and I think its fair to say its somewhat different to the throttle responce of a petrol engine, mind you, its not slow, VERY not slow,,,
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 09:11   #8
Galaxie390

Hi there Aidan,

Sounds like you got a peach of a car, a little different from the 'shed' I've made my life's work to keep going...lol

I know what you mean about the yank steering. My Kingswood wagon is a light as anything, zero 'feel', but light all the same.

I find my D24 can be slow off the lights, but has great mid-range for powering past people on hills and leaving them in a cloud of smoke!

Cheers,
Rich
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 11:18   #9
Paddy Wagon

Hi Rich, yep, this one is rather nice, if it ever stops raining I'll take a couple of photo's of it and stick them on here. When I first drove it, it was very sluggish, it has been lying unused since March, but now that I've had a chance to give it a real good blasting on the By Pass, it fairly flys, the whole thing must have been choked to hell, the ammount of muck that came out of the exhaust was unreal, but now its practically smokeless when you boot it. Mind you, I still get a little fright each time I start it up, that injector noise is something else, perhaps I should drop a small block 350 V8 into it,,,,
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 10:04   #10
Galaxie390

Hi Paddywagon,

I wouldn't worry about the smoke on start up, they all seem to give a little puff as it were.

My previous engines were proper smokers, esp when idling they would create a proper smoke screen.....just the thing for those 'quick' get aways..lol

If you do put the small block in, make sure you throw the D24 in my direction. I'm engine no 3, no 4 would be a nice round number...ha!

Cheers,

Rich