Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

timing belt conundrum

Views : 508

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2024, 18:15   #1
wellskint

Default timing belt conundrum

i'm trying to second guess if the timing belt has been done on my newly acquired s40 03 plate. it has service history from new to 2009 @ 30k miles then nothing for 10 years upto 2019 where it records 56k. it has had a service every 10k miles thereafter including a major service at 64k in 2020. it has had a few owners with not much paperwork. when should it have been done ?? and how long can an original belt last??
wellskint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 18:58   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

10 years or 100,000miles whichever comes soonest. The belt needs changing soonest. The water pump should be sound, but if it is showing signs of wear - very doubtful - only replace with a genuine Volvo pump. So many good original pumps have been changed for a pattern and they always leak.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 11:41   #3
dingov70
Master Member

When in doubt , REPLACE , way way cheaper than replacing engine .

You are then positive regarding replacement mileage and when it is due .

I also replace before required as I have had to repair engines that have failed prematurely ( not all mine ! )
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 16:02   #4
wellskint

Is the belt visible? I was told you can’t inspect it but I can see a toothed belt front left of my 1.8 by the washer bottle. I took a picture but can’t seem to upload it?
wellskint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 17:33   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellskint View Post
Is the belt visible? I was told you can’t inspect it but I can see a toothed belt front left of my 1.8 by the washer bottle. I took a picture but can’t seem to upload it?
The belt you can see to the left of the engine when you open the bonnet is the auxiliary belt. If that is the original I would change that as well as it will be overdue. The timing belt is to the left of the engine, under the black plastic cover. if you remove the cover on top of the engine - over the spark plugs - you will see the timing belt under the remaining black plastic cover. There isn't much point in inspecting the belt as one that desperately needs changing will not look much different to a nearly new one.

The attachment shows my C70 - very similar to the S/V40. The orange arrow shows the timing belt cover. the blue arrows show the panel that needs to be removed to see the belt under its cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180106_001.jpg (130.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ITSv40; Jan 21st, 2024 at 17:44.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote