Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Identification problem

Views : 514

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2023, 18:16   #1
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Default Identification problem

Hello all. I have a 2004 V40 2litre sports model. I have a broken spring on the front so am planning to replace both front. They have been replaced before a few years ago by the local garage so cannot guarantee they are OEM in fact I suspect they are not. Looking on the net one site lists no less than 12 different front springs they say fit my car. Can anyone suggest how I choose? Because it is a SPORT model does this mean it has a SPORT or different suspension? I have tried to find the OEM part number but the on line catalogue also lists a number of options. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
acousticplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 18:42   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticplayer View Post
Hello all. I have a 2004 V40 2litre sports model. I have a broken spring on the front so am planning to replace both front. They have been replaced before a few years ago by the local garage so cannot guarantee they are OEM in fact I suspect they are not. Looking on the net one site lists no less than 12 different front springs they say fit my car. Can anyone suggest how I choose? Because it is a SPORT model does this mean it has a SPORT or different suspension? I have tried to find the OEM part number but the on line catalogue also lists a number of options. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
The Sport designation has nothing to do with the suspension, it is purely a trim level. They came in 'Bog standard', Sport, SE, and Sport Lux and then there were various trim packages that could be added.

The best way to determine the suspension set up is to read the code on the VIN plate on the firewall under the bonnet. I think it is on the bottom line and will look something like 3AY2AZ. That will give you the full spec for the front strut, front spring, front antiroll bar, rear strut, rear spring and rear roll bar. There are various options for struts, springs and roll bars.

Last edited by ITSv40; Dec 21st, 2023 at 19:19.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 19:06   #3
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Hi ITSv40.Thanks very much for that. I'll have a look in the morning and come back.. Regards.
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 10:20   #4
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Message deleted

Last edited by acousticplayer; Dec 22nd, 2023 at 11:07. Reason: Wrong information
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 10:24   #5
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Message deleted.

Last edited by acousticplayer; Dec 22nd, 2023 at 11:08. Reason: Wrong information
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 10:32   #6
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Default I identification problem

Yes looked again. The code is 3AV3AZ. Please ignore previous post. Now deleted.
Thank you. How do I interpret this code please.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a make of replacement springs or know who the OEM supplier was?

Last edited by acousticplayer; Dec 22nd, 2023 at 11:13. Reason: Wrong information
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 11:54   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticplayer View Post
Yes looked again. The code is 3AV3AZ. Please ignore previous post. Now deleted.
Thank you. How do I interpret this code please.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a make of replacement springs or know who the OEM supplier was?
I will try to.have a look on Vida - I'm having problems opening it at the moment. I will come back with an update later.
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 12:46   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I will try to.have a look on Vida - I'm having problems opening it at the moment. I will come back with an update later.
Still having problems opening VIDA, so cannot find the specific part number for the springs. My techie son will be down for Christmas so will get him to have a look at it.

The code 3AV3AZ denotes you have Comfort suspension:

3A refers to the front strut and spring. There is also 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A . This refers to the different spring settings that are marked with paint dabs on the original springs.

V refers to the diameter of the front roll bar - 19mm dia.

3A refers to the rear shock and spring. There is also 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A, as per the front set up.

Z refers to the rear roll bar diameter - 13mm dia.

As for spring suppliers, I've no idea as I have fitted genuine Volvo springs on mine when one broke. The Genuine springs do come with the rubber cushion fitted to the bottom of the spring, not sure if non - Volvo springs are similar, I suspect not.

Hope this goes someway to point you in the right direction.
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 13:09   #9
acousticplayer
acousticplayer

Wow that's really helpful and I'm truly grateful. I've read online that LESJOFORS were the OEM. Suppliers so I'll go with them. Thanks again,have a good Christmas.
The Following User Says Thank You to acousticplayer For This Useful Post: