Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to install cruise control

Views : 27067

Replies : 98

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 17:08   #21
Johnmanfred

You both should have received 5 mails each
Johnmanfred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnmanfred For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 17:13   #22
kaeferlein69

Default danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmanfred View Post
vielen dank!! i have see the mail now
tomorrow i start to study!!!
kaeferlein69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 20:39   #23
ComedyNose

Smile

Well, with thanks to everyone who has been working on this retrofit I decided to give it a shot.

My car is an 02 1.9d Ph2.

Based on what I've read I started procuring some parts. I got an indicator stalk from Ebay (which it looks like might be common across both phases). I got a brake plunge switch from ebay (which looks like it might be common across a load of Volvo platforms of this era). Twenty five quid and I'm all good.

Fitting took ten minutes. The brake pedal bracket was already there. The harnesses were all there. Then for the software.

I'm blessed with a friend of a friend who is a Volvo tech, so I was hopeful that the software upgrade could be procured for a pie and a pint. Alas not.

After a bit of head scratching he got on the horn to Sweden and it seems that the software to do this is still available. The problem is that it is a part like any other, with an order code and a cost, even though it is virtual and simply downloaded from the servers in Sweden.

What's interesting is that whilst we know that the dealers are always happy to rip our pants down, in this instance it seems to be Volvo who are doing the ripping. The cost to the dealer of the software is over £150. Hard to believe, but there you go.

That's enough to stall the job for me, for a while at least. At the moment I shall be content with my little green light that comes on but doesn't do anything!

If anyone does find some mystical kind of Playstation special move with ignition keys and pedal presses then do share! I'll not hold my breath though.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this - it has proven really helpful even though I'm not there yet.
ComedyNose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComedyNose For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 16:37   #24
dmiller

Good guide thank you!

David.
dmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 09:54   #25
learntofly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmanfred View Post
could u maybe send me the guide too? I´m just about to put cruise control in my v40 and would really need some help

my email : learntofly@gmx.de

thanks!!
learntofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 21:45   #26
mikesmif

Hi All,

The guide is great. Thanks for that. Anyone know where I can get a kit from? Would be a great addition to my S40. I have a 04my (53 plate) 1.8 petrol Bi-Fuel. Thanks in advance.

Mike
mikesmif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 10:28   #27
NiallB

Recently ended on Ebay if it's any help:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-s40-...vip=true&rt=nc

2003 v40 1.6
NiallB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 19:54   #28
asmobhosca

Very good forum guys. I've just got my first Volvo, 2004 1.9D. Would love to add the cruise control. I can get the stalk switch no bother from ebay. The cut out switch for the brake is also readily available. I cannot, however, find the brackets for the brake pedal. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also do I need the same switch for the brake for the clutch pedal? I see some mention of an installation guide too. If someone could send me that it'd be great. Thanks.
asmobhosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 23:06   #29
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmobhosca View Post
Very good forum guys. I've just got my first Volvo, 2004 1.9D. Would love to add the cruise control. I can get the stalk switch no bother from ebay. The cut out switch for the brake is also readily available. I cannot, however, find the brackets for the brake pedal. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also do I need the same switch for the brake for the clutch pedal? I see some mention of an installation guide too. If someone could send me that it'd be great. Thanks.
Be a bit careful here. The 1.9D cruise control setup is very different than the other petrol cars. Even if you get the brackets and switches, you will have to get the cruise control function programmed/enabled by the main dealer. Cost for that is around £200.

Or what I did in my case, was to get the complete locket (ECU, immobilizer, keys, lock alarm module and all locks) from a 1.9D with cruise already on it and swapped it on my car. Total cost was way much lower than the dealer option. I did the same with my brothers car and I will be helping Timmytarmac do the same with his 1.9D, as I am getting a spares/repairs 1.9D with 2 keys and cruise control.

If decide to go down the dealer programming route and still need the brackets and switches, just let me know, as I have a couple spare ones

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2015, 19:51   #30
asmobhosca

Thanks for the reply Gatos. I had a look last night after I posted here. The brackets for the brake pedal cut off switch is actually there in place already! I've ordered the indicator/light stalk with cruise control switch. Is it just the brake pedal cut out switch I need? Or do I need any other parts? Do you have a guide for installing this in the 1.9D? I'll probably go the route of the main stealer software upgrade.
asmobhosca is offline   Reply With Quote