Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 boot-lid gas struts

Views : 443

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 20:45   #1
bananarama

Default S60 boot-lid gas struts

The boot-lid gas struts on my dad's 2011 S60 may need replacing...

When opening the boot-lid, is it supposed to open up all the way up unassisted? Or are the gas struts simply there to help you lift the boot-lid?
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 07:49   #2
Toprivetguns

They will always need a small amount of assistance to lift before fully lifting the boot lid. If they are not holding the weight of the boot door, time to replace.

You'll find the manufacturer on the with a part number. Search online as Volvo will be much more expensive. If your replacing them yourself, Id suggest the help of an other to support.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 10:46   #3
V60white

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
The boot-lid gas struts on my dad's 2011 S60 may need replacing...

When opening the boot-lid, is it supposed to open up all the way up unassisted? Or are the gas struts simply there to help you lift the boot-lid?
I had this problem with my V60 , 2013, a couple of months back, kept banging my head as it just didn't go full height quick enough and sometimes had to be lifted over the horizontal half way mark when the weather was cold.

I bought struts from Strutsdepot.com, quick delivery, perfect fit, problem solved !
They were a great price too
V60white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 11:34   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

The boot lid on mine has always required lifting. Beyond 3/4 point it carries on unassisted to fully open.
The double press on the keyfob only releases the latch (the boot lid lifts around ½" or so) it does not open the boot similar with the dashboard button.
The boot lid can be closed with a pull on the internal handle without having to be slammed closed.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 20th, 2024 at 11:45.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 11:37   #5
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
They will always need a small amount of assistance to lift before fully lifting the boot lid. If they are not holding the weight of the boot door, time to replace.

You'll find the manufacturer on the with a part number. Search online as Volvo will be much more expensive. If your replacing them yourself, Id suggest the help of an other to support.
OK good to know, in that case I'll replace them. My dad poor fella he's getting old and neglecting his car so I've been giving it some love these past few weeks.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 14:35   #6
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
The boot lid on mine has always required lifting. Beyond 3/4 point it carries on unassisted to fully open.
The double press on the keyfob only releases the latch (the boot lid lifts around ½" or so) it does not open the boot similar with the dashboard button.
The boot lid can be closed with a pull on the internal handle without having to be slammed closed.
INTERESTING! I wasn't sure what to expect because I've got a V70 and it's all automatic. I suspected the struts were on their way out but now I'm not so sure. I'll reattach them and see what happens. Either way I'll probably still buy a new set and forget about it
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 16:28   #7
GMcL
0's and 1's

As Toprivetguns says as long as the boot stays wherever you place it before the 3/4 raised point then I think you'd be wasting your money replacing them. That's your choice, I'm sure there are other things you could throw money like the rear brakes (discs and pads) plus backing plate or rear bushes.

Mine goes through rear brakes at twice the rate of front brakes. I've had them checked, everything is as it should be, it's just the way it's setup.

A gearbox oil flush wouldn't go amiss at 13 years, manual or automatic.

Otherwise, use it and enjoy it.

Old Mar 20th, 2024, 17:42   #8
V60white

With the new struts on mine I just lift to just before horizontal and it opens fully on its own after that....didn't before and it was a nuisance...stopping at about 7/8 ths open.
mine is manual opening by the way no power assistance !!!
V60white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 18:16   #9
bananarama

What's a backing plate?

Well...disks and pads still have plenty of life. ATF flush is done, cabin/air/fuel filters are done, faulty ABS sensor is done, brake-fluid flush done, and engine oil/filter I'll do at the end of spring just before he (my dad) shoots off to Spain. He's 76 and not that flexible: he drives it and I take care of the maintenance

As for the boot-lid I don't remember it staying still before 3/4 up, more like 7/8 like V60white experienced, either way I'll double check tonight.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 18:21   #10
GMcL
0's and 1's

Backing plate is the crud blocker behind the disc, stops muck collecting on the back of the disc and caliper.

They can look a bit tired and rusty over time.

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 20th, 2024 at 18:25.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post: